The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got just under 2.5 WPG on my 75 gallon tank and I'm starting to get green spot algae and hair/thread algae. I'm in the process of getting a pressurized CO2 setup going, but it's going to take a while, financially. DIY will probably start up within the next week. I already have my supply of Greg Watson ferts, however.

My question is this: Is it beneficial at all to dose ferts without injecting CO2? Will it diminish my algae outbreak (I understand I can't fully cut it out without a true tank balance)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Without C02 about all you need to dose is 1/4 to 1/2Tsp K+ and around 5 to 10ml trace once a week/ish. start on the low side, grow with the tank/plants.
I would not use DIY C02 on a 75, it will most likely only cause you grief/tank is to large to keep up with amount of gas needed. Save up :)

To help combat the algae issue you currently face, clean the tank and glass & keep it clean, reduce lighting a bit more by raising it off the tank some, and burn it less, no more than 8 hours, add Flourish Excel to your dosing regime for a few weeks, maybe less.use 1WPG/ish if you want to view it more.
Add more plants.

And take the time to enjoy you're tank. :biggrin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts