The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any problems with dosing dry fertilizers and their red cherry shrimps? I have a tank where I keep about 15 RCS and I want to dose N-P-K and CSM+B and I was wondering would that hard my shrimp.

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
i'm convinced that it killed mine... but it could have been the higher then normal N that did mine in

·
Registered
390 Posts
it really all depends on what your levels are at.. at the time i think mine were near 20ish maybe a little higher.. you'd probably want to keep them in the 5-10 range, but i'd wait for more comments to be sure

·
Registered
296 Posts
You need to make sure to dose CSM+B on rotating days of the N-P-K. No dosing at all on the day before WC. Also, I'm convinced that overdosing of ferts caused me to lose almost all of my Thaira Winterri snails, and 95% of my RCS a couple months ago. Now I dose less than the recommended amounts of ferts uding the EI method. For CSM+B I mix 1/2 tbls into 250ml of tank water and dose roughly 2.5ml in my 10g and 4ml in my 20g. I havent gotten back into dosing the other ferts since I lost all that stock. It scared me from it pretty badly. I also lost an ivory mystery snail that I'd had for almost a year. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree totally with the above poster. I don't know if it's the N or the small amount of Cu, but when I initially dosed per EI I lost Cherry and Amanos. I dose half of N and trace ferts and I have no deaths and wonderful plant health. *Note at the time my plant load was moderate,not really heavy, so the consumption of N and trace ferts wasn't that great I'd imagine.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I agree totally with the above poster. I don't know if it's the N or the small amount of Cu, but when I initially dosed per EI I lost Cherry and Amanos. I dose half of N and trace ferts and I have no deaths and wonderful plant health. *Note at the time my plant load was moderate,not really heavy, so the consumption of N and trace ferts wasn't that great I'd imagine.
i wonder what the amount of copper is that shrimp can handle. if i remember right, doesnt csm+b have .1% copper

·
Registered
442 Posts
If I remember reading this correctly, I think it is the CSM+B that has a higher level of copper than other trace mixes. As we know, copper can kill inverts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts