The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my staghorn/bba/hair algae I am going from many approaches. More snails, less nutrients, reduced photoperiod, water changes, more plants and then finally gonna use excel.

For a 40gallon with lives plants and animals what should I dose and how often to make sure all algae dies?

I will be finding out what made my algae problems as it dies.

ALSO, when should I dose it? With lights on or off, and CO2 on or off? Filter on or off??

TIA

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Algaecide 1 time treatment is 1ml/ gallon. Do this with filters off. Prior to a water change ads dosage give an hour or so. Scrub/ manually removed all that you can. Do water change, rinse filter media in waste water. Restart filter. Not sure how everyone else has done it but this is how I do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Algaecide 1 time treatment is 1ml/ gallon. Do this with filters off. Prior to a water change ads dosage give an hour or so. Scrub/ manually removed all that you can. Do water change, rinse filter media in waste water. Restart filter. Not sure how everyone else has done it but this is how I do it.
So I’m going to do 20 gallons since all the things in my tank probably equal that. Before a water change I will add 20mL while my filter is off and let it sit in the tank. As it’s sitting I’ll try to remove as much alagae as I can. Then change water and set it all up again. Is that what I am to do? Just wanted to read back your directions to make sure I had it right.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's pretty much it. It works ok for me. If you get comfortable with it and this method doesn't work you can try leaving the overdose in with filters on right after a water change but I've never felt comfortable with leaving it in.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Do a normal water change, add the overdose (1ml/ gallon) and leave filters running and leave in the excel, cleaning algae daily. I'm not comfortable doing this method but supposedly it works well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.