The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just started a dsm with HC and was wondering how most dose ferts during the process... I have a bunch of dry ferts for EI method for when the tank is flooded. Thinking about possibly mixing a smaller amount than what I would usually dose in the tank in a water bottle each day when I spray/mist the HC... This seem like a waste? or beneficial?

I do know that I have too much water currently in the tank for the dsm, and am planning on draining so the substrate is just moist. Was wondering however if there were any suggestions for the HC that is planted higher than the rest? Spray the higher plants more often? All the HC is plated in a thin layer of fluval plant stratum mixed with osmocote and root tabs over pfs.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Given your substrate, your HC should be OK with the nutrients for now.

Tom Barr says using DSM with ADA AS is fine but "you can mist the plants if you use flourite black etc with a NPK and trace solution 2x a week otherwise"

As for the higher HC, capillary action will draw a little bit of water upwards. You can spray them a little more often (with water) to keep them moist if you want, but if the aquarium is reasonably sealed, the humidity should be fairly high throughout.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts