The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn it, I dose a little too much Exel and now my fishes are dying as I speak. I dose 1.5 capeful of exel in a 10 gallon, right after I did a 40% water change. You guys think I dose too much exel along with the water change that's why I got dead fishes?

Also what chemical are in exel that could kill fish if dose too much?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ouch! I capfull = 60 gallons if I remember correctly!! (or was it 50 gallons?)

Definitely do a LARGE water change! You can still save the remaining fish!!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Darn it, I dose a little too much Exel and now my fishes are dying as I speak. I dose 1.5 capeful of exel in a 10 gallon, right after I did a 40% water change. You guys think I dose too much exel along with the water change that's why I got dead fishes?
Excel is a dilute form of glutalaldehyde. It's a disenfectant.

You dosed too much Excel!

Seachem's recommended dosing for 10 gallons of water calls for 5 mL after a water change and then 1 mL daily after that.

Your 10g tank probably contains about 8½ gallons. The dosing for this amount is 4.3 mL after a water change and 0.9 mL daily after that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're all dead, that sucks. It's got to be the florish because I've had these fish for 6+ months with no problems. Little neons are now jumbo size and I do everything the same....Exept I added Florish Exel this time.

There goes another lesson learned the hard way. I was doing so good to for a year now since I got back into the hobby, this was a step backwards.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 10 was doing good too the way it was with low light plants. I was just wondering how much improvement it would make with exel. Oh well, I got plenty of neons left in my so called Quarantined tanks, so when the water is good I'll just put them in the 10 minus the exel. Darn I really wanted to see how big I can grow these neons too. I got them when they were just so tiny and they are big and fat now. I've always wonder how long it takes for them to get to the so called "jumbo" size.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah, .5ml for 10g. You dosed about 3.75ml or over 7 times the recommended amount. That will absolutely kill your fish.

mistergreen said:
For the future.. DOn't dose excel at all if you have tetras.. It seems like they're pretty sensitive to the stuff
Do you have any evidence to back this up? Myself and hundreds of other people on this forum have dosed Excel (even overdosed, but not to the extent in this thread) with all kinds of tetras with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Normally that would not be enough to kill fish. Lots of people overdose 2 to 3x normal dosage for various reasons without problems.

What size bottle are you dosing from? Seachem mistakenly still uses the same label on all their bottles and if you are dosing from a bottle bigger than 500ml then the caps are way bigger than 5ml each. In this case instead of dosing 7.5 ml you may have dosed 20 to 30 ml which might explain the problem.

Sorry about losing your fish,
Bill

Also what chemical are in exel that could kill fish if dose too much?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had an outbreak of BBA and hair algae. I spot treated for a while and have been dosing 4 capfulls in my 20 gallon tank every morning for the last couple of weeks. The algae is no longer an issue and my 5 cardinal tetras are doing great. I also think something else got to your fish.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm starting to think there must be different strength Excel forumlas out there. The one I have recommends one capful for 60 gallons. 4 capfuls in a 20g of the stuff I have would wipe EVERYTHING out. JHipkin, what's the recommended dosage on your bottle?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the recommended dosage. There are many threads that speak to this. For algae reduction you double up or more. I don't think it was the Excel.

Watch your plants and fish. They will tell you what's what. I am running 130 watts of light, Pressurized CO2, and EI ferts. Lots of plants, corydoras paleatus x 4, plus Cardinal Tetra x 5. I'm adding ten more Cradinals today. Lost a bunch to the heat wave and resulting power outage last summer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As the above poster said, the dosage is the same, the cap size, however is different, so just ignore whatever you hear about "Oh do a capful of this or that" and use a dropper with mL markings on it. (Or failing that, pay attention to what size bottle that person is referring to)

I've never had problems overdosing excel in my tank with 5 cardinal tetras. I added 7.5 mL as well after a 50% water change. That's only 1.5 times the recommended amount, and Seachem surely leaves a margin of safety more than that on their products (when it comes to supplements at least)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah, JHipkin, I agree. I overdose Excel to treat algae as well, but there's a huge difference between an 200% overdose and a 700% overdose.

This is no doubt that glutalaldehyde is extremely toxic in higher levels to your fish and plants (and yourself for that matter).

I suppose the point is just to know what you're doing and pay attention to how your tank responds.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the exel because of how fast they died. After the water change and dosage, they started to gaps for air near the top. A few minutes later they were near their end. Some died within 30 min while the strong died after 1 hour after the 50% water change to refresh the water.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
IME, you cannot predict excel will do this or that in someone elses tank. I have killed fish in one tank using normal dosing while not killing fish in another tank triple dosing (which had rummy nose tetras in it). The best thing to do IMO, is dose the excel and watch the fish react while standing by to do an immediate water change if/when they start gasping. Excel, like formalin, will lower O2 levels; the warmer the tank temp and the larger the fish the more it may affect them........DC

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.