The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i dont mean to start an arguement and understand that facebook is evil and is the source of our demise etc...(along with google) BUT..
It would be great to chat with planted tank friends in a quick chat text box like on FB.... instead of through messages by flicking through different menus....
Has this been considered by PT.net?

Any thoughts from fellow members?? :icon_smil

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I think that would be good. Members could bond over chat making it easier for them to under stand each other and answer each other's questions in threads.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
This forum likes to keep close tabs on what people say to each other, for understandable reasons given that young children use this site frequently.
The moderators do a good job of keeping this forum somewhere you can feel free to ask questions and voice opinions, while also preventing abuse and hatred.
It's a bit extreme for my tastes, simple arguments aren't really allowed even if everything is kept calm, but that is how it has to be, if moderators made exceptions they would have a lot more work on their hands reading every single post and stepping in at just the right moment.
At any rate, a chat room is too instantaneous, things can and would spiral out of control at a very fast rate and moderators cannot be in chat rooms 24/7.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
At any rate, a chat room is too instantaneous, things can and would spiral out of control at a very fast rate and moderators cannot be in chat rooms 24/7.
i wasnt suggesting a chat room, just a chat bar so people who are FRIENDS can text chat. Planted Tank doesnt screen PM's

·
Registered
753 Posts
i wasnt suggesting a chat room, just a chat bar so people who are FRIENDS can text chat. Planted Tank does screen PM's
I see what you're saying...sort of a Facebook-like chat with one person thing.
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure TPT is the venue for one-on-one chats.

I don't think Planted Tank screens PMs at all. I'd assume PMs are between two individuals unless explicitly forwarded/reported.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yes, PMs are private and I believe encrypted. We can't see your pms even if we wanted to.

Other plant forums have tried the chat thing. They got rid of it as well. It drains server resources and mod's time so it really isn't a benefit at all.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
PMs arent encrypted, but i also doubt anyone here is going to be setting up any scripts, or really caring to keep tabs on PM's

i dont see https on anything here really... which is why i use my usual username and pass for stuff i don't "care about" people getting access to

chat is another issue... its a huge bandwidth resource. perhaps if youre a supporting member you could have access... but otherwise, its a huge money sink

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
PMs arent encrypted, but i also doubt anyone here is going to be setting up any scripts, or really caring to keep tabs on PM's

i dont see https on anything here really... which is why i use my usual username and pass for stuff i don't "care about" people getting access to

chat is another issue... its a huge bandwidth resource. perhaps if youre a supporting member you could have access... but otherwise, its a huge money sink
No, not through SSL. Encrypted like your password, bunch of numbers and letters, not plain text. You need a hash key to decrypt the junk. Technically Kyle can do it but he won't of course.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140064

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I don't think Planted Tank screens PMs at all. I'd assume PMs are between two individuals unless explicitly forwarded/reported.
This is correct.

TPT Chat was tried once a long time ago, was a disaster, and I strongly doubt it will ever be done again.

People of course are always welcome to contact each other and chat to their hearts' content on whatever other software/IM/chatroom/social networking platform they choose- but it won't be a "TPT Sponsored" activity as none of the staff have any desire to have to moderate that sort of thing.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I suggest something like google talk. It's free, it pops up nicely as you are on planted tank and you can share your username with who you like. It's not through planted tank, but it works quite well. Plus, you can use it on your phone. :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks, i did mean 'dont screen PM's'.
I guess it isnt that hard to flick between a chat resource and TPT.
Shame but i understand the difficulties in managing/ running such a addition.

Thanks for the clarification.. while some TPT staff are around...
Who actually runs this site? Is it just run as a hobby site by generous individuals who are happy to give up spare time or are there employed staff / owner?? Just curious... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.