The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September I purchased a new Eheim Ecco 2236 from Petco. This weekend, my prefilter became clogged. Now, it does not work.

I've had many Eheims over the years, mostly the Pro II series, and from time to time the prefilter module has clogged, causing the flow to drop to zero. Normally, I just unclog the prefilter and presto everything returns to normal. This time, I unclogged the prefilter module, and nothing, nada.

I placed a call to Eheim and was disappointed to learn that the Ecco series is not thermally protected. The impeller housing easily melts and warps if the prefilter clogs. I wish I had known this before I purchased the Ecco series. I would have purchased either a classic or another Pro II series.

Eheim suggested I return it to Petco, and tell Petco that I spoke with Eheim and was advised to return it to the store. He said that if I have trouble returning it, Eheim "may" be willing to replace the pump under warranty, but typically it is not covered under warranty.

I'll update this when the matter is resolved, but I wanted to share my recent experience with the Ecco series and advise people to consider this if considering an Eheim Ecco series filter.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Eheim brand has always meant reliability and quality to me. I can't believe they would continue to make a unit with such a design flaw. As part of a high end filter, I expect to be able to handle a clog. It wasn't like the thing was clogged for days either....it was clogged for less than 4 hours.

I'm very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Conclusion to the story. I took it to Petco, explained that I purchased it two months ago, it overheated, and Eheim told me to return it to Petco. They swapped it out with a smile.

I was very happy about my Petco experience.

I did an even swap, 2236 for 2236. I considered getting a 2217 instead, but I really like the inlet and outlet both being on top of the filter. The filter is going on my 60-P, with glass lily-pipes, so no prefilter to clog.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll tell you what:

DO NOT BUY THE EHEIM ECCO SERIES

I replaced this filter not even A WEEK AGO. I had a minor issue tonight with my tubing, the filter ran dry for less than an hour(everything was cool when I went to the gym, not fine when I got back), and the replacement's pump is spent.

I can't believe. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!.

I will never even consider the ECCO again, EVER!.

I'm still an eheim man, but it's the class or Pro II for me.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'll tell you what:

DO NOT BUY THE EHEIM ECCO SERIES

I replaced this filter not even A WEEK AGO. I had a minor issue tonight with my tubing, the filter ran dry for less than an hour(everything was cool when I went to the gym, not fine when I got back), and the replacement's pump is spent.

I can't believe. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!.

I will never even consider the ECCO again, EVER!.

I'm still an eheim man, but it's the class or Pro II for me.
The solution to your problem is simple. Do not let your filter run dry. It is designed to filter water not air. If you let your filter run dry then you caused the problem. I have been running cannister filters for some 20 odd years and have only had a problem one time (CO2 vapor lock - which was my fault). Blaming a company or a design for for something it is not supposed to do is offbase. Man up to the situation and accept some responsibility here. Trashing Eheim for their Ecco design is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The solution to your problem is simple. Do not let your filter run dry. It is designed to filter water not air. If you let your filter run dry then you caused the problem. I have been running cannister filters for some 20 odd years and have only had a problem one time (CO2 vapor lock - which was my fault). Blaming a company or a design for for something it is not supposed to do is offbase. Man up to the situation and accept some responsibility here. Trashing Eheim for their Ecco design is just plain wrong.

I completely disagree.

This is a top of the line filter, and as such I expect a certain level of performance. I purchased this filter based on my previous experiences with the Eheim brand. Those experiences included thermally protected pumps. Pumps run dry. Normally not twice within two weeks, but they run dry. When you purchase an eheim, you purchase it for life(at least with the classic series). Sometime in your life, you will have a filter run dry. It is inevitable. Something will happen. Maybe your auto-top off will malfunction while you are away on vacation, maybe your line will spring a leak while you are at work, maybe your prefilter will clog. This happens. It is inevitable, and for that reason I purchase top of the line.

Yes, the filter ran dry, and that is my fault. However, considering that I've let Eheim Pro IIs and Classics run dry for DAYS before catching it and never had this issue, yes, I can blame the design. If you read my post carefully, I did not blame the company. Compared to other eheim filters, it is a bad design. Therefore, the point of my post was to let anyone that may be considering the ecco instead of the classic....go with the classic. It is a better design.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I completely disagree.......

Yes, the filter ran dry, and that is my fault. However, considering that I've let Eheim Pro IIs and Classics run dry for DAYS before catching it and never had this issue, yes, I can blame the design. If you read my post carefully, I did not blame the company. Compared to other eheim filters, it is a bad design. Therefore, the point of my post was to let anyone that may be considering the ecco instead of the classic....go with the classic. It is a better design.
You disagree but you admit that you are at fault? I can tell you this and I am sure that Eheim will back me up. Do not let your filter run dry. It is not designed to run dry. They are easily primed and once running could/should run for years. You said you have had other filters run dry for days(?!?). Holy smokes! It is obvious that you are doing something wrong and blaming a design for your indiscretions.

I agree that Eheim is top notch but they can't design for irresponsible customers. Once again I state that filters are meant to run wet not dry. Let me ask...If you owned a Bentley or a Rolls would you run it without oil until the engine failed? Would you then blame the manufacturer for having such a high quality product that can't run for an hour or DAYS due to neglect? At some point common sense has got to kick in.

Filters can and do fail. But if they run dry it is your fault not the design. I have had several Ecco 2232s running continually for over 5 years and they have never just run dry due to their design.

Man up dude you are causing your problems not the design. And trying to steer potential Ecco owners away because YOU are using the product incorrectly is just wrong....plain wrong.

Eccos are wonderful filters. Not the best but will last years and years and years with PROPER use.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
OP's title of the thread was....

Don't let your Eheim Ecco get clogged, not thermally protected
I think that's a accurate statement. You'd think for a couple bucks they could install a heat sensor for safety reasons if nothing else.

SteveU

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You disagree but you admit that you are at fault? I can tell you this and I am sure that Eheim will back me up.
Yes, and GE will tell you that there Silicone I is not meant for use in aquariums. But that's just a bunch of CYA.

Do not let your filter run dry. It is not designed to run dry.
Yes, when it comes to the Ecco, you are correct on this. Do not let it run dry. See the title of this thread for reference.

You said you have had other filters run dry for days(?!?). Holy smokes! It is obvious that you are doing something wrong and blaming a design for your indiscretions.
Yes, I had a Pro II run dry for at least a few days while I was on a weeklong trip. I came back, my tank was half empty because it was an open top tank and an extremely hot week and the filter was gurgling. I filled it up, and it ran without a hitch. I still have the filter. Is is running in my basment right now.

I agree that Eheim is top notch but they can't design for irresponsible customers.
Fine, let's call me irresponsible. But, they can design for me. It's called the classic.

Man up dude you are causing your problems not the design. And trying to steer potential Ecco owners away because YOU are using the product incorrectly is just wrong....plain wrong.
You are taking this very personally.

Eccos are wonderful filters. Not the best but will last years and years and years with PROPER use.

Eccos may be wonderful filters, but Classics are better, and to anyone considering an Ecco, they should be aware that they are inferior filters to classics.

I consider a good design to have failsafes. The ecco has none. No faiilsafes = bad design. Again, this only applies because I prefer to have a top grade filter. If you are fine have a lower grade of filter, that's your prerogative. I thought that the Ecco would be of the same quality as the Classic. It is not. Hence the entire point of this thread.

Ecco Quality != Classic Quality

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Eccos may be wonderful filters, but Classics are better, and to anyone considering an Ecco, they should be aware that they are inferior filters to classics.

You are taking this very personally.

I consider a good design to have failsafes. The ecco has none. No faiilsafes = bad design. Again, this only applies because I prefer to have a top grade filter. If you are fine have a lower grade of filter, that's your prerogative. I thought that the Ecco would be of the same quality as the Classic. It is not. Hence the entire point of this thread.

Ecco Quality != Classic Quality
I agree with both of you guys, you really shouldn't run em dry but it could happen. I wonder what other filters have this problem?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.