The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my larger apple snails decided to escape one of my tanks. Normally not a problem, either I find them stuck to the side or I guess they just go back in the tank on their one, but this one fell. He seems to move around okay, but his shell is cracked. Should I just quarantine him and hope for the best? Is there anything I should do? Thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it seems to have survived the initial fall without any cracks, just a large chip near his opening so he can't seal himself up completely. I had a larger snail take a less traumatic fall, and die because the other snails ate him, I guess they could tell he was weak. I would separate this snail, but the only other tanks I have are already inhabited by creatures that mistake snail tentacles for worms. I don't think that would make for a very good recuperation period. It seems to stay near the surface with it's air tube out as if it is having trouble breathing water. Other then that it seems fine. Went after food, moves about. We'll see how it goes. I like these snails, I'd hate to lose another one. I don't know why this one fell. Like I said, they climb out sometimes, but I've never had them jump off or I guess probably drop off before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.