The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I asked what fish would be compatible with goldfish, and dojo loaches were recommended. I really like the golden dojo. What I would like to know is, what would be the best substrate for them? I have plain aquarium gravel in the tank now. Also how many could I add to a 75g tank with two fantail goldfish ane oranda two BN pleco and five white cloud minnows. The tank is cycled and has been running for about a year. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
They all would enjoy sand or really small gravel. Some of them would like to play in, and dig in the sand so it might limit what you can put in the tank like plants. Dojos can get pretty big so watch for that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dojo loaches are tropical fish that require a heater. You have goldfish which are coldwater fish and don't require heat, and also shouldn't have their temperatures that high anyways. I would not suggest putting dojo loaches in your tank.

But to answer the substrate question: I believe they do fine with gravel but I am not 100% sure. I had mine in a sand substrate and they did just fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep my tank at 72 degrees. The goldfish don't seem to mind and I figured that the plecos would do better at that temp. That should work for the loaches. So I am assuming that I would want to replace the gravel right? How deep do loaches burrow. If I replace the substrate will I have to re-cyle the tank or just wait for the bacteria to build up again?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I had playsand and my dojo loved burrying himself where all you could see is his head. I have not met many people that had success with the Golden variety though. I had one myself and he died pretty quickly. However my Weathered thrived, until I gave him to someone else. You see they arent so good for a planted tank that has dirt as the substrate SINCE they like to burrow.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I keep my tank at 72 degrees. The goldfish don't seem to mind and I figured that the plecos would do better at that temp. That should work for the loaches. So I am assuming that I would want to replace the gravel right? How deep do loaches burrow. If I replace the substrate will I have to re-cyle the tank or just wait for the bacteria to build up again?

It's up to you about the substrate. It's not crucial.

If you do replace it, hopefully, the filter is enough to start the cycle.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Most fish can adapt. In the article it sayw in higher temps, the life expectancy is reduced, maybe that's why your loach died?
RE READ IT AGAIN BUB!!!
"However my Weathered thrived, until I gave him to someone else. You see they arent so good for a planted tank that has dirt as the substrate SINCE they like to burrow."

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's up to you about the substrate. It's not crucial.

If you do replace it, hopefully, the filter is enough to start the cycle.

Disagree...its a Loach!! Would you throw a loach into a tank with Eco-Complete? Substrate is critical for these as well as Kuhlies.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Disagree...its a Loach!! Would you throw a loach into a tank with Eco-Complete? Substrate is critical for these as well as Kuhlies.
There is nothing wrong with a loach in Eco complete..... While I agree I wouldn;t put a kuhli or dojo in a tank with Eco complete... others are fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a loach in Eco complete..... While I agree I wouldn;t put a kuhli or dojo in a tank with Eco complete... others are fine.
Let's see, I have kuhlis (pangios), botias, schisturas, nemacheilus, and both regular and mini horsefaced loaches, on Eco-Complete going on 7 years now. Barbels are nice and long on all and I see the pangios and horsefaces sticking their heads outta the gravel every now and then.

Myth BUSTED.;)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I had playsand and my dojo loved burrying himself where all you could see is his head. I have not met many people that had success with the Golden variety though. I had one myself and he died pretty quickly. However my Weathered thrived, until I gave him to someone else. You see they arent so good for a planted tank that has dirt as the substrate SINCE they like to burrow.
I read it BUB! And yes, myth Busted.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I read it BUB! And yes, myth Busted.
AHH you see you're clueless as to why the golden variety died? To clear that one up it was actually a problem at the store level. You see when it died I took it back to the store and their entire stock (of Golden Dojos 12) were belly up. That's when I went to my LFS and bought the Weathered variety. It was the length of my pinky when I got him and when I sold him we was well over 5 1/2 in.

So as I said the weathered variety thrived. So there are several people that put these weathered dojos in their outside ponds and thrive as well.

Here is one

After five years they had grown to over 15 cm long and it was time to find them a bigger home. Not wanting to give them away and with no larger tank at the time, I decided to give them a try in my 1100 L pond outdoors. I live in Washington state (USA) and our winter can be quite harsh, but I figured they would be okay outdoors for the summer time and I would find them a permanent home before winter came. Well, they just loved their new home outdoors and kept the bottom spotless all summer long. By the end of summer they had grown another 3 cm, were eating out of my hands, and very fat and happy. So I decided that I would let them try the winter out there in my pond along with the Koi. I kept a close eye on them to make sure they were doing okay and they have done fine. That was seven years ago. Now they are twelve years old, live outdoors, and are over 20 cm long. I poke holes in the ice when the top freezes over in the winter and keep a small fountain going to circulate the water. Lee Ann Hightower

·
Registered
293 Posts
So as I said the weathered variety thrived. So there are several people that put these weathered dojos in their outside ponds and thrive as well.
They are considered and invasive species in some US states. So not the best idea to have them in a pond.

"However my Weathered thrived, until I gave him to someone else.
Why sell him if he was thriving?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
They are considered and invasive species in some US states. So not the best idea to have them in a pond.

Why sell him if he was thriving?
until I gave him to someone else. You see they arent so good for a planted tank that has dirt as the substrate SINCE they like to burrow.
How would they be invasive in a pond? I am not talking about a pond in your city, I am talking about a pond in your backyard or front yard..

They like to burrow (see above) I have dirt in my tank, and well he DUG up a lot of my dirt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
How would they be invasive in a pond?
Floods.

Yeah dirt tanks aren't the best, but since you had him from when he was the length of your pinky, to 5 1/2 inches, I would think you would've gotten sick of him doing that way before 5 1/2 inches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.