The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm sick of using those stupid 5 gallon buckets to refill the tank after a water change, so...

I'd like to change 20 gallons per week and use one of those rubbermaid 20 gallon tubs to let the water sit. The problem is that the sink is a floor below where my tank is, and I'd rather not carry 4 buckets up the stairs. I was hoping to use some sort of water pump to pump the 20 gallons up the stairs into the tank. Is that possible? What kind of pump could I use?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Have you ever looked into a python type water changer? It allows you to drain into your sink and fill directly from a conventional faucet into your tank. During my water changes every week, I usually just sit there and watch TV, getting up to switch it from drain to fill and add Prime.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Would a python water changer (or an aqueon water changer) work?
Basically it's a long tube that you hook up to your sink, allowing you to drain water directly into the drain and then you can add tap water from the faucet by closing the valve. I would think that you could pump water up the stairs using your faucet...

Edit: Ninja'd by Veese. :hihi:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've looked into the python thing. But doesn't that mean that I'd have to add tap water directly to the tank? I'd rather not do that since I usually let my water age to get the pH and temp normal. Is there some kind of electrical or mechanical pump I could use to get water from a tub downstairs into a tank upstairs?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Yeah I've looked into the python thing. But doesn't that mean that I'd have to add tap water directly to the tank? I'd rather not do that since I usually let my water age to get the pH and temp normal. Is there some kind of electrical or mechanical pump I could use to get water from a tub downstairs into a tank upstairs?
Why do you think you need to age your water?

Ph is basically irrelevant. Assuming you aren't using RO water and you aren't attempting to use buffers, you're pH values do not matter. Since your KH and Gh are not changing(unless you are using buffers, and really... there isn't a good reason to do that unless your kh/gh is zero), a small change in pH does not matter at all.

Seriously.

I use a hose to change the water on every tank I own and service. That is close to 55 tanks.

I just drain the tank out a window/drain/tub/etc and then hook up to the closest sink/spigot/etc and fill while adding dechlor at the start. For tanks in some setups, the hose even has an auto-shutoff on it so I don't have to worry about forgetting...

Temp regulation isn't nearly as important as people would suggest. I input water into my tanks that is almost 30 degrees cooler during the winter. It stimulates breeding in many species, from cichlids to shrimp. Ironically, water that is slightly too warm could be much more detrimental, due to oxygen deficiency.

I know old habits are hard to break.... but you should really break this one. You'll be happier.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I use one of the pythons, it's actually the Lee's brand. It works perfectly fine for pumping water up my stairs to the tank upstairs. As far as aging goes, I would have to assume someone who successfully keeps over 50 tanks has to know a thing or two. Not to mention that while letting your water off gas will eliminate your chlorine it does not however break the chloramine bond which water conditioners do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What I do is mix a bloody mary. then I fill my 35 gallon heavy duty plastic trash can with the Python. I then dechlor, add KH and GH buffers, and I get the temp near my tank temp but a few degrees lower, the fish enjoy the cooler water and as someone stated it prompts many species to spawn.

Then I disconnect the python from the faucet and use it to drain my tank water right out the back door where it waters my lawn. Then I hook the python to my sump pump (mag drive 300gph) which is in the bottom of the trash can, and fill the tank back up.

I never lift anything heavy at all.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
If you really fell you must "age" the water, you don't have to use the python to fill the tank directly. You can use the python to fill the tub next tot he tank instead. Although, at that point, why you would not just get a garden hose is beyond me.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The reason why I age the water is because 1) I don't get heated water in that faucet, so I need to warm it up to room temp and 2) the pH I measure from the tap is different than after it has aged. I have no idea why this happens but it does. Thanks everyone for your advice!
Assuming the pH in your water goes up, it is due to co2 in the water. This is common. It also doesn't matter. Water systems add co2 to some systems and it seriously doesn't matter one bit.

Since KH and GH aren't changing... it doesn't matter at all. Not one bit. NONE!

Assuming your water temp is over 40 degrees and you are doing less than a 50% water change, the decline in temp will not hurt anything. It might even promote breeding and stimulate your fish.

Seriously. I do this on EVERY tank I own and maintain for commercial clients.

SERIOUSLY! :icon_smil

Break the habit. You won't regret it.

Aging water that you aren't running through a RO unit is basically pointless.

With a hose adapter, a cheap hose and about 3 minutes, you can turn any faucet in your house into a tank filling monster. Most faucets have an aerator that can be removed and then a screw in adapter will hook a standard garden hose up to it. The cheaper the hose, the better. Don't let anyone scare you.

You are more likely to contaminate your tank with your hands than a hose.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is what I use:

Well all the plumbing is done and a water change has been done in less than 30 minutes.

Here are some pics of the setup:

This is where it all starts. The can on the left is holding aged water that has been heated to ~80F and de chlorinated with Seachem Prime. The can on the right is for the waste water to get pumped into. The waste then goes down a drain in the floor and out in the lawn.

The following picture is on the Pecs tubing running above the drop down ceiling in the basement.

This is the Pecs coming up through my floor in my bedroom. It will be cut and wound up behind my dresser when not in use.

The next to pictures contain the refill adapter. The short piece of PVC is a coupler that allows me to take the filler off and put on an attachment to attach my Python for cleaning and draining.

The final pic. is of the PVC attachment that my Python goes on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Syphon here. Python, Lee's whatevers cheaper. Suck water out. Flip switch put water back in with capfull of prime. Good to go. I do weekly changes that IMHO are more beneficial than letting water gas off in a bucket. Cool water can be nice for the fish depending on your stock. Like a nice rain! Save your back and do more changes. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's what I'm doing now. I know it's going overboard.

I have a 40B that I bought at a Petco $1/g sale a while back. I did buy a versa-top for it which cost more than the tank. It sits on the bottom shelf of an iron aquarium stand next to my 75g. The top shelf of the stand has a piece of plywood on top rather than an aquarium and is currently my aquarium "workbench."

The 40B has a Mag 5 water pump sitting on the bottom of the tank.

My Sunday morning wc routine is as follows:

1. The Sunday prior, I had refilled the 40B with my Python and treated with Prime. If the weather's cold, I stick in a spare heater to heat the water to the same temperature as the main aquarium. In the summer I don't bother. So the water sits for a week. I put my spare Hydor Koralia 750 pump in it to keep the water circulating/aerating.

2. All of the electrical devices I want to turn off during a wc are on a single power strip, so I turn that off.

3. I use my python to drain 50% of my tank water. I turn off the faucet as soon as the syphon is started. I use an outside faucet attachment, and yes, it does drain into buckets, which I dump on my lawn so that the "old" water and any unused ferts don't go to waste. I may buy an extension to the python so that the hose reaches around the house so I can dispense with the buckets and just drag the hose around the yard.

4. I clean the pre-filter to my Eheim 2217 and replant any plants that have come loose during the week.

5. Using the mag 5 pump and some extra Eheim 494 1/2" tubing, I pump the new water from the 40B to the 75g to refill it. I turn the power strip back on.

6. I repeat step 1 for next week's water.

I do save on Prime, because I am only dosing the water in the 40B. If you add water directly to the tank, you are supposed to dose based on the volume of the entire tank (75g in my case), so I am using 50% less Prime.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I never really understand why all this matters... I have never lost a fish to a water change. I use a python, when I start refilling I add my prime.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Aging water doesn't make sense unless there are fish out there that are that sensitive.

I also don't bring the water temp up or down. In the summer, I leave the faucet on for a 15-20 secs to purge all the warm water in the line from sitting in the heat. Fortunately for us in CA, winter water isn't any different.

I perform large 50% water changes in a 20g. If that doesn't do it, then smaller water changes in larger tanks definitely won't.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I started with a python but i moved to a house with a sink that wouldnt work with the attachments. I rigged a splitter in the intake hose of the filter. When i need to change the water i hook up an external pump made for sumps in large aquariums up to it and a long hose that leads to the tub. I drain water with the pump (though gravity will drain as well). When im done draining, I switch the hoses on the pump, fill a bucket in the tub, add Sea Chem and fill my tank. I know nothing about plumbing and this has made water changes so easy...no more buckets!

I should add, that the water direct from my tap (decholorinated) hasnt adversely effected my fish. In fact, it often triggers spawning of my gold tetras of which i have many now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.