The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get back into Salt water, but I still <3 FW aquascaping. I find myself bored with the SW aquascaping and looking back at a lot of the FW scapes.. SW looks all the same, too much going on. I love simplicity.

So, I decided I wanted to do something different with my new tank I'm building for my seahorses. I picked up one of those new Fluval Edge aquariums for this.. The lighting is horrible on the tank, but I ordered some new direct replacement LED bulbs (they are in the mail). Less heat and more light. I also wanted to do driftwood so bad, and all i've read is that saltwater preserves wood, so I can't see it deteriorating and harming the water and it gives my seahorses more stuff to hold onto.

Anyways, I wanted to share it here to see what everyone thought of the scaping itself. :D

It's not complete yet, I want to put some Halimeda on the ends of the branches to give it a tree effect, i'll probably start that tonight.. I also want to find some turtle grass for the bottom.. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
89 Posts
the scape looks really cool.i think a added branch on the back right hand side and maybe somthing dunno what to add to the back middle.How hard are these sea horse to take care of? i want to get a fluval edge as well they are a cool little tank pet smart has them for $99 ill prolly pick one up soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the scape looks really cool.i think a added branch on the back right hand side and maybe somthing dunno what to add to the back middle.How hard are these sea horse to take care of? i want to get a fluval edge as well they are a cool little tank pet smart has them for $99 ill prolly pick one up soon.
Thanks! I may try another branch in the back, unless I can cover it up more with the Halimeda.
They are pretty high maintenance fish. One already had to be put into medicated waters for a week, and stopped eating for awhile. :frown: But it's back to eating now!

It is a very cool tank. I love the style of it. The only complaint I have about it is the poor lighting they supply with it. It comes with a couple of mr11 halogen track lights, that sit very close to the top of the water. Halogen is pretty hot and with the salt water, it makes for a lovely crystalized crust on the bulbs.. I have some LED mr11's I found on ebay coming in the mail, they have 9 LED's in each, so I hope they'll be a lot better.. If you get one, I can send you the link to where I got the bulbs.. They were pretty inexpensive. :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got the proper bulbs today so I finally put the halimeda onto the branches.. I also picked up some Maiden's Hair grass the other day.. :)

The water is a little stirred up from me messing with everything in the tank. :bounce:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Cool...I've wondered what would happen if someone combined SW with FW style. I've seen some gorgeous tanks that utilize macroalgae in a planted tank way but never a tank with wood. Do you plan on using any red alga or going for an all green scape?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some red macroalgae in my nano reef. I originally bought it for this tank; I thought it would go great with the black sand. But then I got the hankering for doing the wood and now I can't seem to find a proper place for it..

I was thinking about getting some shaving brush or kelp for that back right corner, it looks too bare.. But I also kinda feel like they would almost be out of place.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Shaving brush could look cool. I think something long and flowy like a species of sea grass would look good along the back wall. It would offer a contrast in texture to the roundish shaped halimeda but echo the height of the tall branches at the same time. Harmony and variety sort of thing ...I hope that didn't sound too...artsy fartsy? :/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shaving brush could look cool. I think something long and flowy like a species of sea grass would look good along the back wall. It would offer a contrast in texture to the roundish shaped halimeda but echo the height of the tall branches at the same time. Harmony and variety sort of thing ...I hope that didn't sound too...artsy fartsy? :/
That makes sense.. I would just need to find some grass that doesn't over grow the height of the tank.. lol. So far all the grass i've seen ends up being really tall, like something you'd see in the shallows in FL or something. I guess I could mow the lawn in the tank.. :hihi:
You didn't sound artsy fartsy.. That stuff makes sense to me anyways. :)

how bout a calpura (sp?) carpet? you know the feathery ferny looking stuff :icon_smil
I have calpura in my nano, it's a bit of a pest. I could put that in the back, but I think it might over power my branches..

I was thinking about some nice red kelp.. Maybe some grape or smooth leaf kelp.
Grape:

Smooth leaf:

·
Registered
252 Posts

I was thinking stargrass...does it require consistent mowing? lol Oops..again.. FW stargrass is uncommon in the hobby.

The red kelps are even better. Long (but not too long), flowy, and red.
And thanks for the assurance, mle :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.