The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back my mom vacationed in Greece. She brought back some beach marble as a souvenir. Looked really nice in the water and I didn't think twice about placing it in my 10g. This is a low tech tank so no CO2.

Thought nothing of it till my WC today on the 55... I had used one of these here to attach some Anubis a few months back during a re-scape. The plant didn't take to the stone but I didn't remove till today.

Moving some plants around I flipped it over and felt the texture. Very porous compared to when it was placed. Then it hit me my CO2 has been breaking down this stone in only a few months. After a quick google found that marble is primarily lime stone. DOH!

Feel like a complete amateur doing this to myself but as usual we all live and learn.

The tank balance may get better now that it's out, but time will tell.:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Marble is metamorphosed limestone. So it doesn't dissolve quite as fast, but certainly a large enough slab will alter your water chemistry.

But one thing confuses me about your post. First you said it's a low tech no CO2 10 gallon, and then you said that your CO2 has been breaking down the rock?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Marble is metamorphosed limestone. So it doesn't dissolve quite as fast, but certainly a large enough slab will alter your water chemistry.

But one thing confuses me about your post. First you said it's a low tech no CO2 10 gallon, and then you said that your CO2 has been breaking down the rock?
The CO2 in his 55g had broken the marble down. He has no CO2 in the 10g but he has the marble. In the 55g he has CO2 and a dissolving piece of marble.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The CO2 in his 55g had broken the marble down. He has no CO2 in the 10g but he has the marble. In the 55g he has CO2 and a dissolving piece of marble.
Doh! Reading that post too fast. :) Thanks for pointing out my dullness.

I don't really think the rock would have upset your 55. In the 10, the volume of water relative to the rock might have been a problem if you were injecting CO2, but in the 55, shouldn't have been that drastic. Did you seen significant rises in GH, KH and pH?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also trying to use more RO water after the addition of this stone in the 55. TDS were always hovering around 250 or so in the 55. I have not tested to see what it is today... I'll check once the baby goes down for a nap.

What is interesting is it did seem to affect the one rams horn shell in the 10...It's mostly white and rough not red/brown as I see in others tanks here.

Most of these stones are no more than 2 sq in. But all regardless all were deteriorating, just faster in the CO2 tank.

Fished out what I can find in the 10 and of course the one in the 55. It may not have been a significant difference but couldn't help with my adding Ca to the RO, will never know.

My issues lately were brown diatoms in the 55. At this point I'm not going the RO route any longer and just using tap water again. Well see if it clears up with the latest WC regime.

I agree it may not have been the issue but better safe then sorry.

BTW: The 10g is soooo much easier and hands off. It never seems to have any big issues any longer.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For me, over the years, it seems something in substrate is what always causes the most trouble in a tank. If I have a truly inert or approching inert substrate, everything falls into place. In your case, who would have known marble could be a calcium source? I also assumed marble was some sort of super heated granite and inert as well.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
From Wikipedia:

Marble is a metamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone, composed mostly of calcite (a crystalline form of calcium carbonate, CaCO3).

I thought it was common knowledge that marble could affect water chemistry.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup a bone headed move on my part. Not thinking it through...

·
Banned
579 Posts
From Wikipedia:

Marble is a metamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone, composed mostly of calcite (a crystalline form of calcium carbonate, CaCO3).

I thought it was common knowledge that marble could affect water chemistry.
No need for the asinine comment rex, the wiki quote would've been sufficient.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Rex, I thought it was common knowledge too, only because one of my first posts here was about rock in the tank, and that was one of the "limestone" types.....then we discussed adding acid to test the potential rock addition to your tank.....

Kr your life just got a little easier~

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arrrgggg... It's ok. Let's hope things get better. I found the same reference when I pulled the crap from my tanks, not that it helps any now...At least it's on the forum thanks to Rex :thumbsup: and my blunder.

So at some point we have more information covering mistakes made with in correct hard scape material.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
My mistake happened when I was eight years old and my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias. I truly thought they had bought them for me to read. So I read them. Every volume. Front to back. My head is full of little stuff. I just wish I could find my car keys in the morning.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL... We had a 1967 set... Pop got suckered by a door to door salesman. Wish we still had it along with the monster Webster Dictionary.

Keys, Access Badge, Digipass, Cell phone they all go missing one day a week.

Rex,
I need to hook up with you for some parts soon. Once a plan is solid I'll drop you a PM.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Reading glasses. Constantly :rolleyes: . I think ours was Compton's, don't know what year, but I seem to remember they said it was impossible to split the atom :hihi: .

I had forgotten about marble until I started looking into it at one point. Sometimes information gets buried in all the other trivia in my brain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Marble...

kzr750r1 what its the approx. size of this marble rock.
Did you see any raise in your KH or PH, if yes by how much?
Asking this, because I will use marble in a mix of Turface, Laterite substrat to keep the substrat to become to acidic...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
kzr750r1 what its the approx. size of this marble rock.
Did you see any raise in your KH or PH, if yes by how much?
Asking this, because I will use marble in a mix of Turface, Laterite substrat to keep the substrat to become to acidic...
Bad idea. There is no reason to prevent the substrate from becoming too acidic. In fact most of us mix in a thin layer of peat to kick start the substrate with the acidity.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty small really. No more than 1 Square inch...

As for the measurements I have not been that diligent lately testing so. There was an experiment using more RO water. But with everything else i ditched that plan and wet back to tap.... I was down to 325 ppm now up to 628 ppm according to the TDS meter in the 55.

Just checked the 10 and 55. Ten gallon gets all RO and had three stones in it...325ppm, due for a WC. The fifty five had one larger stone in it and held the same TDS reading using RO. So now using tap it's 628ppm. Not a huge deal plants and current inhabitants should be fine.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Moving some plants around I flipped it over and felt the texture. Very porous compared to when it was placed. Then it hit me my CO2 has been breaking down this stone in only a few months. After a quick google found that marble is primarily lime stone. DOH!
Well, all I've got to say, is people DO put some silly things in their tanks. I'm just glad I've never been so foolish. :icon_wink

Actually, it's a bit cathartic to so share your foibles so openly. Thanks for giving me something to grin about, and for making me feel just a tiny shade better knowing that I'm in good company! :redface:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I have made the same mistake. I bought white "sand" for decorative purposes (the bag says "Aquarium sand") and use it as substrate to cover about 20% of the tank. The guy at the LFS said that it will not affect PH. What test can I do to determine whether or not what he said is true?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts