The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some zebra rock at a LFS that look like the rock in this pic: http://www.northamericanpet.com/wp-c...rock-small.jpg

I dropped some muriatic acid on the rock. The black part of the rock doesn't fizzle. The white part seems to sizzle slightly after a few seconds (maybe 5-10 secs). My ph is already pretty high around 8.0 and my ph tester doesn't read higher than that. I use tap water. Should I use a different water source?

My tank is a 29 gallon and plan to get corys, neon tetras, and a few other fish. Is it safe to use in my tank? Anyone have experience with this rock?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes it can mess with your tank parameters due to the calcite that composes the white ribbons. In the past I have used it with little to no problems as it is not redilly soluble. I have also used zebra rocks that has ribbons composed of white feldspar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it can mess with your tank parameters due to the calcite that composes the white ribbons. In the past I have used it with little to no problems as it is not redilly soluble. I have also used zebra rocks that has ribbons composed of white feldspar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So you think I wouldn't have trouble with it if i place about 10 lbs of this stuff in my tank?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If the GH, KH and pH of your water is already pretty high the rock will not raise it any higher. The exact values probably vary with each type of rock, but I would think that with GH and KH in the teens or twenties and pH in the upper 7s or higher there would be no problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the GH, KH and pH of your water is already pretty high the rock will not raise it any higher. The exact values probably vary with each type of rock, but I would think that with GH and KH in the teens or twenties and pH in the upper 7s or higher there would be no problem.
That is good to know, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts