The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new from Amazon a Hagen Glo T5 remote ballast (mostly because I like the waterproof terminals) as well as two 4 foot Hagen T-5 Life Glo bulbs.

Hooking everything up, they BUZZ. I don't mean a barely noticeable hum, although that wouldn't be particularly acceptable either, I mean a loud 60 hz buzz. I've called Hagen, who says the product should make no noise. They have encouraged me to try swapping the unit via Amazon, and said to contact them if that didn't work.
I stopped using magnetic ballasts for T12s a while ago, and have not heard any 60hz buzz since then. Based on what Hagen says, this is not supposed to happen, and so hopefully the next unit will be better.
What is everyone else's experience 1) With this particular unit and 2) With any other electronic ballasts you may have tried?
I'm intent on remote mounting the ballasts, but don't mind wiring the ballast up myself. However, I'll need a source of T5 sockets from somewhere else if I don't use this particular unit.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update in case anyone ever reads this again:
The now ballast arrived today, it does not make the same loud buzzing noise. I can hear a faint 60 hz noise, but only with my ear very close to it in a quiet room. My fiancee can't hear it at all. Amazon was also easy to deal with. The process was entirely automated, and they are paying for return shipping of the original unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts