The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any correlation between water temperature and what sex a shrimp will be during development?

I've been noticing an ever growing number of males to females in my 10g. Would this be due to water temperature or just dumb luck?

Edit: Forgot to mention these are Red Cherry Shrimps

·
Registered
890 Posts
Is there any correlation between water temperature and what sex a shrimp will be during development?

I've been noticing an ever growing number of males to females in my 10g. Would this be due to water temperature or just dumb luck?

Edit: Forgot to mention these are Red Cherry Shrimps
That is a great question, but I do not believe that temperature affects sex during development for shrimp.

-Ryan

·
Registered
659 Posts
Great question. I have noticed that the juvenile shrimp in my cherry shrimp tank often have more of the "male" coloration -- more clear with red markings than truly red -- but that some of the ones I moved to other tanks later have seemed to mature to the female redder coloration and begin carrying eggs. So it could be that you're seeing a lot of young shrimp who will eventually color up and turn out to be female.

I've also noticed that the males tend to swim around quite a lot while the females stay much mellower, just munching on algae, so it's possible, too, that a quick glance at the tank would make it look like there were more males than females since they seem to be all over the place.

But it's also possible that there is some other factor (temperature, PH, food or something else?) that is favoring males over females -- I don't know enough about shrimp biology to know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.