·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
115 gallon tank 60x18x24
2-80 watt T5HO 6700K and 10000K
CO2 pressurized 30lb
Filstar XP4 with lily pipe return

tank plans for this one is my new discus tank.. thoughts? plant's drift wood placement im open to all ideas!

Matt

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh LOL I just have an old bottle laying around and a presure regulator from a few years back... thought id use it...

sorry guys

Matt

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pressurized CO2 may be high tech now but in a few years the definition may change. Then high tech might mean a tank that has an IP address and all of the parameters can be monitored and adjusted over the internet. As it is though you should have good luck with discus. I suggest you get a nice piece of driftwood as a centerpiece that the plants and fish can surround. Any idea what substrate you are going to use?

115 gallon tank 60x18x24
2-80 watt T5HO 6700K and 10000K
CO2 pressurized 30lb
Filstar XP4 with lily pipe return

tank plans for this one is my new discus tank.. thoughts? plant's drift wood placement im open to all ideas!

Matt

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
Just reporting Mr. Spambot is sufficient. :icon_cool

Back to the OP, just to offer up another opinion: IMO CO2 does not disqualify a low tech tank. I think the light is what drives everything else, like the need for nutrients and CO2. So a low light tank, whether it has CO2 pressurized, or DIY, or no addition, is still a low tech/low maintenance tank to me.

I guess it depends on the definition of low tech. For example, if you put an AquaControllerIII on your 1W/gal tank, is it still low tech? From a maintenance and nutrient requirements point of view, I'd say so.

Using two 80W T5 bulbs on a tank this size makes it "middle of the road - tech". The CO2 will definitely help, and depending on other things, some macro and micro dosing will benefit it as well.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ Of course, it is the age-old argument, and entire theoretical dissertations can be written on the subject. That being said, regardless of whether CO2 makes a tank high-tech or not, I actually recommend that badmatt uses it!

I mean, Matt, if you already have the tank and regulator and stuff, why not? I agree with Wasserpest that it will only help! Just because you have CO2 doesn't mean that you have to have high-lighting as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the C02 will help a lot and the two 80 watt bulb set up is a light of light when there are 10K bulbs in it! im not keeping a whole lot of big high end plants most basice amazon stuff swords ferns crypts ect ect just some nice syuff that will compliment my discus since im keeping 10-12 of them... and im ordering a darn nice piece of drift wood from plantedaquarium.com stay tuned!

Matt

PS: thanks again for the insight and middle of the road tank LOL

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i was under the impression that co2 is only required in the uper light ranges. i would be wary of the ph change using pressurized co2 since the plants might not be using too much with less than 1.5wpg of lighting. then again the t5' do put out more light than other bulbs so maybe it will be fine. i just know i have lost fish due to ph swings caused by co2 and i wouldnt want that to happen to your discus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts