The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a 10g and ended up with this. I think it is oedognium. Now it appears the conditions that caused this have passed. I say this because I removed some ferns and dipped in straight 3% H2O2 for 1 min. Threw them Back in the tank and the algae became bright red and over the course at a few days and disappeared.
It has been a week and it did not return so I'm thinking it's under control.

-I dose ei levels once a week after water changes.
-66 0.5W LEDs(5630) lighting this. (It was 132 LEDs when I started this tank) lol
-No co2 or glut

However there is a piece of drift wood that I do not want to remove and dip. On this there a ferns that are still covered with algae. If I trim the algae will the floaters grow or will they die.

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Spray it directly with peroxide under water. Turn off all the flow in the tank first, and leave it off for 20-30 minutes afterwards. May have to do it a few days in a row but you should be able to kill it that way. Just dont over do it as far as the total amount you put into the tank. A squirt or two is all I'd feel comfortable doing at one time in a 10 gallon.

AlgaeFix is also pretty effective against hair types, it's not safe for shrimps though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spray it directly with peroxide under water. Turn off all the flow in the tank first, and leave it off for 20-30 minutes afterwards. May have to do it a few days in a row but you should be able to kill it that way. Just dont over do it as far as the total amount you put into the tank. A squirt or two is all I'd feel comfortable doing at one time in a 10 gallon.

AlgaeFix is also pretty effective against hair types, it's not safe for shrimps though.

Sweet. I'll do that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For the hydrogen peroxide, if you do it right, you'll see the algae start to bubble. That's the plant being oxidized. (killed)

If you don't see any bubbles coming off the algae, it isn't likely to kill it. Some algae types are more prone to hydrogen peroxide than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.