The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ordering 10 bags of substrate which should be about $200 and weighs 170 lbs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, I was hoping not. You sent me a link but it doesn't mention anything about orders being too heavy just oversized which I believe is not the case here. They ship two to a box.:icon_cry:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to order on the phone and was told 12 bags would be 80 for shipping due to fact it's a order over 150 pounds. So I went online and placed 2 orders each under 150 pounds as I was told by someone in sales, and still got free shipping on both. I hope they don't cancel my order. I will report back here on the outcome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First order 13 bags 83.00 for shipping (canceled)

Second order with 7 bags and free shipping. Shipped and on its way.

Thrid order with 6 bags and free shipping. Shipped and on the way.:red_mouth.

Each shipped order has 2 bags in one box so I have7 boxes on the way.

Why they do this makes no sense to me but I hope this helps someone else and saves them some money.

Go figure??????

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
As someone who used to run the shipping department of a larger online retailer in a hobby segment, they probably just lost money on your order due to the shipping cost. That works out in the end though because you're now a happy customer and are likely to order from them again. I can almost guarantee somebody noticed what you did but it would be really dumb of them to say anything or cancel your order. Making customers angry is the last thing you wanna do, especially in the highly competitive online market....

·
Registered
568 Posts
As someone who used to run the shipping department of a larger online retailer in a hobby segment, they probably just lost money on your order due to the shipping cost. That works out in the end though because you're now a happy customer and are likely to order from them again. I can almost guarantee somebody noticed what you did but it would be really dumb of them to say anything or cancel your order. Making customers angry is the last thing you wanna do, especially in the highly competitive online market....
+1 nowadays its all about keeping the customer happy.
i work in retail and i do everything to please the customer.
often certain sale items we take a loss on right off the bat
just to bring the customers into the store.

on another note.. i have done what you did before. just make 2 separate orders. even if you need to spend $10 just to get the free shipping it still saves you $80

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the email I got back. It sometimes pays to buy less.

Thank you for your email. I only saw this order under your account, and the shipping fee is due to the amount of sand ordered

1 - 10 of 10 Posts