The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a rimless tank for the living room and the woman is thinking that a square shaped tank would be safer than a rectangular.

i'm debating between two sizes really, both around 90g, from glasscages. one being the 95 wide at 48x24x16 and the 90 square 36x36x16.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think either is safer or more stable than the other. If the dimension was dangerous they company wouldn't be making it or at least not for long.
not about it being more "dangerous". more concerned with tip stability if someone were to bump it... or hang on it, as children might do. personally, i don't think there is a difference... if someone bumps a tank there is always a chance it'll tip if there was enough force to cause water to move back and forth. and a kid hanging on a tank is not a good idea regardless.

mainly looking for additional validation to get the tank i want

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
more concerned with tip stability if someone were to bump it... or hang on it, as children might do.

That's where I make it clear to my children..IF this falls on you YOU'RE DEAD. So look don't touch. That tought mine.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
a 1 year old learning to walk doesn't completely understand that ;)
Assuming that you don't put it on an unqualified stand, a small child shouldn't be able to move it. Remember, this tank will have ~1000 lbs of inertia that would need to be overcome.

Again, assuming that you have a proper stand, there is more of a risk of the glass shattering than the tank tipping over.

As far as tipping goes, yes, it's easier to tip a rectangular tank than a square one of the same volume, but it's also easier to lift a car by hand than it is a semi truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would worry about the fishes' health before a wobbly tank. The toddler is more likely to hit the glass and stress the fish out than to tip over the entire aquarium. If it's a new tank there should be no wobble and make sure the area is level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts