The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proceeding with my MTS project, Im planning on topping it with Flourite black sand and wondering if the sand will settle below the MTS? I'm sure this has been addressed , but cant find the thread.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Large particles end up on the top, small ones on the bottom. MTS is all very small particles, so it stays on the bottom. When I tried Flourite Black Sand over MTS, a year later I tore down the tank, and the black sand was easily removed without any of the MTS being mixed in. I recovered maybe 80-90% of the black sand.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Large particles end up on the top, small ones on the bottom. MTS is all very small particles, so it stays on the bottom. When I tried Flourite Black Sand over MTS, a year later I tore down the tank, and the black sand was easily removed without any of the MTS being mixed in. I recovered maybe 80-90% of the black sand.
Is this the recommended way to go with a sand substrate?

I was planning 1 bag of Flourite Black and 1 bag of Flourite Black sand for my 20g. I suppose I'd have to use root tabs then - which is better? The layer of MTS or root tabs? Or pick your poison? hah

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
MTS is much better than root tabs, in my opinion. And a mix of Flourite Black and Black Sand would end up with mostly the large particles on top. Flourite Black has smaller, more uniform particles than other colors of Flourite, so it should work ok without the Black Sand. I really like the black sand though.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hopefully not hijacking the thread but I think it's on the same lines here...

If the MTS is capped with say sand....what about when you have to pull plants for trimming or relocated, etc.?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James, good question. Actually, my only concern with mts is the potential mess from any possible re scaping. I get the impression that in a dirt tank one should plan on leaving things be once they are set, but in the event that things get overgrown, I would want to thin out the plants without creating a huge mess.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
when you rescape, you have to be little bit more careful to not make a mess. But if you make a mess, it takes not longer than 12h to clear up.( Usually overnight)
I have a MTS tank with gravel and one with black diamond sand.

I noticed the tank with gravel when you rescape and the dirt is on top of the gravel, the corys clean up the mess by plying in the dirt (that way the dirt settels back in the gravel and into the water).

The sand MTS tank was just setted up and seems like the dirt stays on top of the sand when you rescape and dirt comes up, but I think this gives a nicer Natural look. I will put some corys in that tank in about 2-3 weeks (they are in QT right now) and see if they clean up the mess too.

No matter what, I love MTS/ dirt tanks, they are so easy :D. But if you work with High light and co2 you have to keep up with dosing...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I often uproot plants in my MTS/FBS substrate as I'm clueless when it comes to planning aquascapes apparently. The MTS that comes up quicky disappears overnight below the surface of the FBS with no work on my part. I doubt the c.habrosus have much of a role in this. I think gravity along with some water flow do the trick.

Great roots are always noted when pulling things up BTW. Plants are loving the MTS.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.