The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Juwel tank comes with a sponge filter impregnated with a resin which removes nitrate.

If I put this in the filter will the resulting zero level of nitrate effect the plants? I keep reading that nitrate is needed by plants.

I use Seachem Flourish and Excel, will these be removed by the nitrate removal sponge in the filter?

cf

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
plants need nitrogen and that's in nitrate.

And are you sure about this magic sponge that removes nitrate?
i've never heard of such a thing. I guess it works like activated carbon... It'll absorb everything including nitrate. If you have a planted tank, you tend to stay away from such things because it'll take nutrients away from the plants.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plants need nitrogen and that's in nitrate.

And are you sure about this magic sponge that removes nitrate?
i've never heard of such a thing. I guess it works like activated carbon... It'll absorb everything including nitrate. If you have a planted tank, you tend to stay away from such things because it'll take nutrients away from the plants.
The tank is a Juwel, they use coarse grade sponges which have been impregnated with a nitrate remval chemical.

I have taken it out and you can see the difference in just a few days..;0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.