The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i turn the red light on, sometimes at night, to check my fish?

Can i turn it on right after the lights goes out? I want to see better what the fish do when night time come. What about blue?
Heres what i found...

SOURCES:

1)
"It has been reported that fish cannot distinguish the difference between the color red and others, so using red light won’t affect their sleeping patterns."

"They can also sleep for an extended period, which is why it is essential to maintain periods of light and dark with your aquarium lighting regardless if you have total darkness or red light."

https://www.yourfishguide.com/can-fish-sleep-with-a-red-light-on/

2)
"The actual colors within the visible spectrum are determined by the wavelengths of the light: the longer wavelengths are red and orange; the shorter wavelengths are green, blue, and violet. Many fish, however, can see colors that we do not, including ultraviolet."

https://midcurrent.com/science/fish-eyesight-does-color-matter/

3)
"For the most part, red lights are not bad for aquarium fish.
Red bulbs are actually quite helpful since you can use them to observe shy nocturnal fish at night without stressing them."

"There is a common belief among fish keepers that like reptiles, fish cannot see red light. And while the argument does not hold any fact to it, water does absorb red light readily than blue light, meaning using red bulbs will encourage bottom-dwelling fish to come out and play either way."

https://aquariawise.com/best-light-color-spectrum-aquarium-plants/#is-red-light-bad-for-fish

4)
"Nocturnal fish particularly prefer dim blue lighting at night. The blue lights not only mimic moonlight and, thus, encourage more physical activity, but these also provide them with illumination. There's also the fact that blue light allows you, their human parent, to view them"

https://www.yourfishguide.com/do-fish-like-blue-light-at-night/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
My Kessil LED light includes some red LEDs (primarily to allow you to warm up the daylight) but which I have on by themselves for an hour or so after the main lights are out to be able to peek into the tank. Personally, I don't like it much at all and it looks very unnatural, almost a bit creepy. Green leaves look very dark in red light so you can actually see much anyway.

What lights do you have? If you can dim them right down then that would be my personal preference - dim white light means that you can still see all colours of fish and plants in the tank. But then this really means having LED lights with a dimmer, and the dimmest setting (5-10%?) can be too bright still.

Years ago (wow, 20 years ago now, heck I'm getting old!) on my first proper tank, it had two fluorescent tubes - a white one and a sort of dim blueish "moonlight". That worked quite well for my elephant-nose fish to think it was nighttime and come out to feel around the tank. But now I think I would prefer to have dim white light as you can see much better what's going on, maybe "cool white" if you want more of a moonlight effect.

To be honest, I don't think the fish really care either way so long as there are periods of bright and periods of dark. And presumably we're only talking about "moonlight" for a few hours after main lights go out late evening, right? And after that the tank is in complete darkness anyway for a good few hours until morning? Most lighting effects are solely for our benefit really (apart from being able to ramp up the lights in a morning rather than scaring the poor things witless with a sudden day break!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember when I was a 13 year old and was into blacklist poster I used a UV florescent on my tank hood light fixture. I recall that the fish started exhibiting weird behavior like swimming off kilter and banging into the tank walks. I only did it a few times that day and never did it again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a homemade "moonlight" on my tank that stays on for a few hours after the main lights go out. I started out with blue LEDs, fish were perfectly fine. Then decided to try red for a change - suddenly my fish were acting really jumpy whenever the night light came on. After a few weeks switched back to blue and the jumpiness went away.

Can't explain it but that was my experience.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Kessil LED light includes some red LEDs (primarily to allow you to warm up the daylight) but which I have on by themselves for an hour or so after the main lights are out to be able to peek into the tank. Personally, I don't like it much at all and it looks very unnatural, almost a bit creepy. Green leaves look very dark in red light so you can actually see much anyway.

What lights do you have? If you can dim them right down then that would be my personal preference - dim white light means that you can still see all colours of fish and plants in the tank. But then this really means having LED lights with a dimmer, and the dimmest setting (5-10%?) can be too bright still.

Years ago (wow, 20 years ago now, heck I'm getting old!) on my first proper tank, it had two fluorescent tubes - a white one and a sort of dim blueish "moonlight". That worked quite well for my elephant-nose fish to think it was nighttime and come out to feel around the tank. But now I think I would prefer to have dim white light as you can see much better what's going on, maybe "cool white" if you want more of a moonlight effect.

To be honest, I don't think the fish really care either way so long as there are periods of bright and periods of dark. And presumably we're only talking about "moonlight" for a few hours after main lights go out late evening, right? And after that the tank is in complete darkness anyway for a good few hours until morning? Most lighting effects are solely for our benefit really (apart from being able to ramp up the lights in a morning rather than scaring the poor things witless with a sudden day break!).
I jave 15 bucks aquaneat blue and white

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.