The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Purigen remove Iron iron supplement and other fertilizers from aquarium?

Is a 200-micron sock ok to hold it? I think the one that comes with it is 180-microns.

Can you use it with activated carbon or does it totally replace the carbon.

Is it true that you can only " recharge it" a limited number of times with bleach or can you keep doing forever?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Does Purigen remove Iron iron supplement and other fertilizers from aquarium?
No

Is a 200-micron sock ok to hold it? I think the one that comes with it is 180-microns.

Should be ok. If any beads are lost, double it up.

Can you use it with activated carbon or does it totally replace the carbon.

No carbon needed. Purigen does all that carbon does, and more.

Is it true that you can only " recharge it" a limited number of times with bleach or can you keep doing forever?

Yes true. Depends on how dirty you let it get between re-charges, and how dirty, or clean, your tank gets.
I recharge mine every 2-3 weeks when the beads are only light brown, not dark brown or near black, and I usually get up to 15 re-charges before I begin to notice it's losing some effectiveness.

Thanks.
Hope this explains ok.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Like @discuspaul suggested you can double it up. The advantage that the seachem bags have is their ability to stand up the the bleach soaks required for recharging.

For this reason I buy the 100ml in a bag. I buy two at a time so I have one to use while the other recharges.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Food for thought......
The organic gardener in me wonders if Purigen (like activated carbon) is all that practical in the planted tank. Purigen claims to remove organic compounds that would otherwise become nitrogenous waste...but this is what plants can use organically rather then chemical ferts.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Food for thought......
The organic gardener in me wonders if Purigen (like activated carbon) is all that practical in the planted tank. Purigen claims to remove organic compounds that would otherwise become nitrogenous waste...but this is what plants can use organically rather then chemical ferts.
I can tell you that my water clarity improved significantly and I do large water changes every 7 to 10 days. I can also say my plant growth took off after I added the purigen. It may have been a coincidence I dont know. I will continue using it just because of the improvements in the quality of the water.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I can tell you that my water clarity improved significantly and I do large water changes every 7 to 10 days. I can also say my plant growth took off after I added the purigen. It may have been a coincidence I dont know. I will continue using it just because of the improvements in the quality of the water.
Before I upgraded lighting and planted my 60g I used Purigen all the time. It's a great product to improve water clarity. In the planted tank, I'm not sure it improves water quality. It just seems to me that we might leverage a more organic approach in the planted tank rather than dose liquid chemical fertilizers that are likely harder on the fish. I feel we need root tabs in the inert substrate to feed rooted plants, but we might be able to [more] naturally and organically manage the water column for good plant growth and healthier fish.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Hope this explains ok.
I am curious why Purigen would not have an effect on chelated (e.g. EDTA) iron.

EDTA, for all intents and purposes, is organic, and Purigen is advertised to adsorb DOCs.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I am curious why Purigen would not have an effect on chelated (e.g. EDTA) iron.

EDTA, for all intents and purposes, is organic, and Purigen is advertised to adsorb DOCs.

Seachem claims that Purigen "has little, if any, effect on plant nutrients...", or words to that effect, so it is possible that it may adsorb iron.
However, I and many others like me that I'm aware of, have used Purigen in planted tanks for years without experiencing any seeming adverse effect on plant growth.

That's good enough for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.