The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, pretty much any chemical filtration is non-discriminatory about what it removes. That's why it's so popular with reefs, some of the organic matter plants need to thrive would kill corals in any high concentration so activated carbon is a near must for SPS...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I thought Purigen was suposed to be more plant tank friendly than say that of AC?

It is...granted it removes SOME but not ALL, this is why EI dosing is a great option.

I use Purigen in both my Cascade 1000's, I always dose extra N and I check the readings once a week and I always have enough in my tank.

AC I think is really only Active for 3 weeks, whereas with Purigen it can be recharged.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have purigen in my tank. I did a lot of reading about it before adding it, most opinions were that it was safe for planted tanks whereas AC was not.

If you're wondering what I mean by 'most opinions', look here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/poll-258-should-you-use-purigen.html

I wouldn't say AC isnt SAFE for planted tanks, I would say that AC really isnt a good option.
1 because it doesnt last very long
2 because it absorbs more ferts than Purigen.

But after a while AC is "FULL" therefore serves no purpose and doesnt remove ferts. AC just really isnt a good option, Purigen can atleast be recharged.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Check Seachems web site. Purigen removes dissolved organic compounds. It doesn't touch any of the salts or traces you're probably adding.
Yes, and I believe the Seachem claim that Purigen removes impurities, with little effect on beneficial trace elements, is well-founded.
Proof of the pudding to me is that I've been using Purigen on a regular basis for over 2 years in my planted discus tank, and the plant growth has been excellent, in my view, with simple, low-tech fert dosing.

Have a peek:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wouldn't say AC isnt SAFE for planted tanks, I would say that AC really isnt a good option.
1 because it doesnt last very long
2 because it absorbs more ferts than Purigen.

But after a while AC is "FULL" therefore serves no purpose and doesnt remove ferts. AC just really isnt a good option, Purigen can atleast be recharged.
You are correct, 'safe' was the wrong word to use.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Purigen is the end all be all chemical filtration media. Pretty much what it boils down to is that it only removed stuff from the WC that will breakdown into compounds we DO NOT want in there. It will not remove the ferts we put in the tank, that's why its so great. Plus it makes your water so clear your fish will look like they are floating and its rechargeable!!! What else could you ask for?>?!>!>!>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.