The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of the big jugs of Pond Prime that is at least 6 years old. I looked for an expiration date on the bottle but didn't see one.

Comparing the smell of it to a new model of regular prime it is a bit different. Both are sulfurous but different. I seem to remember the pond prime smelling a little different when it was new but it's been so long I can't be sure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prime won't expire as long as it's been stored properly.

If it still has a bit of a sulphur smell, it'll work. How much different does it smell? Does it still smell bad enough to make you gag a bit?
For most of its life, this jug was stored in a cool dark basement. More recently it spent about a month in an outdoor storage closet with pretty hot weather (90s most days).

The smell isn't enough to make me gag, but neither is the new bottle of prime. I smelled both again side by side, and the pond prime might have a "stronger" smell. However, it's different from the new regular prime. The new stuff reminds me of rotten egg sulfur whereas the pond prime reminds me a bit more of gunpowder or firework sulfur (kinda, not really the same smell). I guess the pond prime is a "cleaner" sulfur smell vs. the new stuff which is a rotten sulfur smell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts