The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Three tanks, all of which are co2 injected. The water right out of the tap is ph7.2 kh10-20ppm.
2-45gal, 1- 20gal.
20gal- I add a little baking soda to raise kh.
One 45g has my discus in it along with many tetras, ottos and SAE's. The other one is newly emptied, Heavily planted and cycled ready for the discus to be moved in.
In both the 45g I use seachem acid buffer and baking soda to lower ph to 6.6 and raise kh to 80ppm.

•Question•
If I acclimate my fish to the tap water parameters(ph7.2/kh10-20ppm) What would happen to the ph with the injection of co2?
If the ph drops how much will it/can it drop?
Is that bad for the fish?
How should I go about eliminating the use of acid buffers and baking soda?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Whenever you inject CO2 (assuming a decent diffusion type) you will drop the pH. However the pH drop caused by CO2 doesn't harm the fish.

One would normally shoot for a 1° drop in pH to get to 30 ppm of CO2. So your goal with tap water would be 6.2°.

To reset your tanks you need to do 50% water changes every day for 4-5 days. That will basically get you to your tap water settings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.