The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

at my parents house, in my room, where I used to live, I set up two open-top tanks. They are small in size, but have long surface (80x35cm).

My dad was worried about water evaporation and that it might damage furniture. How much of that is actually true?

I have 180 litre open-top tank at my apartment and have never seen any damages. Is there any reading material or do you have some experience on this topic?

Room is about 12-16 square meters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may have damage if you have something close over the top of the aquarium like a shelf or whatever. It needs to be really close where air can't circulate much between. If you mean surface like the top of a dresser or something similar, damage can occur if it's not sealed properly (raw wood, etc ...) when you spill water and you let it try by itself.

The room itself needs good air circulation so the humidity do not build up. what i mean by that, is it becomes a problem when you have mutiple aquariums in a small room where its closed without air exchanging most of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, so as long:
  • There is enough air ventilation
  • Furniture is not directly over the aquarium
  • Humidity is not too high

... there should be no problems. Is having device that extracts water from air (dont know how is properly called) helpful?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is having device that extracts water from air (dont know how is properly called) helpful?
A dehumidifier. Yes, they work well, and use a lot of electricity.

It is a simple matter to measure the humidity of the room and cover/uncover the tanks to see how they affect it. Any small digital hygrometer would work for this; I like the little ones from Acurite (brand name).

Some parts of the world -- like where I live, upper Midwest of the US -- vary from <20% - >75% indoor humidity seasonally (and this has had no effect on our antique or modern wood furniture over the course of decades that I can tell, though solid wood floors are affected badly). We run a whole-house dehumidifier in the summer (and a humidifier in the winter).

I cover my tanks, but this is to (a) keep fish in, and (b) reduce electricity consumption by the tank heaters, as evaporating water carries away a lot of heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts