The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question about Pearling...

Does only plants have optimal conditions Pearl? Or would they still pearl even if they didn't have enough nutrients or something else wrong?

I guess you could put it like this, is it possible to see if you've got good conditions or need to change something by Plants Pearling?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I believe plants pearl because the water is already at the saturation point for oxygen. Therefore it isn't necessarily evidence of anything more than them being alive. Healthy plants which are metabolising actively are often what is required to achieve oxygen saturation though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe plants pearl because the water is already at the saturation point for oxygen. Therefore it isn't necessarily evidence of anything more than them being alive. Healthy plants which are metabolising actively are often what is required to achieve oxygen saturation though.
Oh I think I understand now. So pearling only starts and shows up when the water is saturated with Oxygen, which is why it takes a few hours after lights are switch on in my tank before I see it. Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do you use co2 in your tank? I used to use diy co2, I remember my plants pearling only once in the two month period that I used it. My plants do great without co2, but pearling certainly is neat to watch. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you use co2 in your tank? I used to use diy co2, I remember my plants pearling only once in the two month period that I used it. My plants do great without co2, but pearling certainly is neat to watch. :)
My plants pearl a lot, but only around 4 hours after lights switch on.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Even torn up old leaves can pearl. Actually, you can get false pearling anywhere there is a hole or cut in the leaf. If there's a thick coating of algae, they usually don't pearl because they aren't getting much light.

Pearling is not really an indicator of plant health, just a lot of photosynthesis. Poor circulation can exaggerate the pearling effect.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Even torn up old leaves can pearl. Actually, you can get false pearling anywhere there is a hole or cut in the leaf. If there's a thick coating of algae, they usually don't pearl because they aren't getting much light.

Pearling is not really an indicator of plant health, just a lot of photosynthesis. Poor circulation can exaggerate the pearling effect.
+1

Swan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts