The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sprouted bulb and received this with the leaves melted off during shipping. It's been in the tank for about a week today. Just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for new leaves to sprout or if the bulb is still good. Excel dosing, EI dosing.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
after a week i think you should have noticed something ...
its really hard to tell from the pic you posted what im looking at there.
btw - thats a very cool plant, but be warned, once it starts growing youre going to have to stay on top of it. i traded mine at a lfs - the guys jaws dropped, it was flowering and everything - but it really is a gigantic plant! LOL! bit much unless you got the room to spare!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mass with all the roots coming from it is what I'm referring to in the pic. There are 2 greenish stems coming out from the mass with black tips, that was where the leaves melted off and i pulled them off...but thinking about it now, I should probably pinch off the rest of the stem.

I would think after a week, I should have noticed something too. I sent this same picture to the seller and he stated "it was a strong healthy bulb." Not having much experience with these, I wasn't sure if there would be at least something coming out from it. The roots are brown, and not white like I'm used to, and they didn't feel mushy when I placed them in. I'll have to pull it out and check again. Would it hurt if I cut all of those roots off, or at least just the really brown ones? It's really a sore sight in the tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i'd go for broke - but thats just me ....
i would totally trim off whatever doesnt show any signs of promise and then start watching it. let it sit somewhere that it gets plenty of exposure too (light / flow).
at this point, not much to lose you know...go for it..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
With that root mass that looks to be a good bulb.
A week may be a little early. The leaves often melt off and it sits dormant for awhile and then new leaves start.

I would give it some time. Uprooting and moving it around may set it back again.
A good check is to gently squeeze the bulb. It should be solid, if it is mushy it is going bad. Give it some more time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I ended up plucking off all of the pieces that were bad or going bad. It really cleaned up the bulb. I've done the sniff test on the bulb and it doesn't smell rotten. It also is firm, but not hard as a rock. There are some short stalks with white tips (maybe 3 or so), so I'm hopeful that it's new growth. I'll take a pic of it today when I get home. It definitely does not want to float away on me anymore with most of the material gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts