The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been seeing some signs of some sort of deficiency that I believe is potassium. Older leaves are yellowing, turning clear, and some have holes. My tank is 4 weeks in with the plants and all. 20 gal and heavily planted with 1.8 WPG and high intensity. I was wondering, I dose with flourish twice a week (recently and temporarily backed off due to algae increase) and it says it has .37% Soluble Potash (K2O), well is that enough? Or do I need to buy Flourish Potassium and dose it as well? Thanks for your time! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Most likely, you are not dosing enough potassium using Flourish.

You can use Flourish Potassium if you like using commercial products, but a cheaper solution would be to use bulk chemicals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely, you are not dosing enough potassium using Flourish.

You can use Flourish Potassium if you like using commercial products, but a cheaper solution would be to use bulk chemicals.
Thanks! I'm fine with dosing some potassium. Just one more question, does it matter how high my ph is? Mine is at 7.5-7.6 and I wonder, maybe a lower pH will allow the plants to better absorb the potassium?

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Thanks! I'm fine with dosing some potassium. Just one more question, does it matter how high my ph is? Mine is at 7.5-7.6 and I wonder, maybe a lower pH will allow the plants to better absorb the potassium?
I am not sure if there is a relationship between pH and potassium absorption (I have not done a literature search).

However, given your pH falls within what is normally observed, I would not worry too much about it.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Your pH is a pretty good value, not worth worrying about. I agree with the others: Aquarium plants seem to use a lot of potassium. That was the first nutrient deficiency I saw as I was improving conditions in my tanks from very low tech to low tech.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts