The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought an Ecco 2236. I know that because of its design, the Ecco doesn't need Ehfimech to distribute water evenly inside the canister.

However, I wonder if the use of Ehfimech would improve its filtering power. That is, I've heard that Ehfimech can trap large debris but I am not sure how a bunch of ceramic rings can do so. Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
the ceramic rings put turbulence in the water, making the one stream break into dozens of little streams as it goes around/through the rings. Although the same amount of water is moving at the same speed overall, the slowing of the individual streams means larger particles will not be carried in the water anymore, and will get trapped in the ehfimech.

Hope that wasn't completely obtuse.

I imagine if you took out the prefilter ring on the 2236 (the very top outer ring with the blue foam) and put ehfimech in the bottom tray with a coarse sponge above it, it would work just fine.

If you try it, post your results here please! I have a 2236 also and have wondered the same thing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I put Ehfimech in my 2236 since a) it was from a seeded filter and b) it cant hurt. Seems to be working well, when I clean the filter I can see lots of debris trapped in it, but most of the big stuff is still trapped in the sponge.

My 2236 is in->Ehfimech->sponge->substrat pro->out

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have ehfimech in my 2236 as the first bottom layer. It catches a lot of the bigger debris, I figured why not? All of the other eheims use ehfimech.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ehfimech at home, so it'd be easy for me to try it in the 2236. My dilemma is I use carbon/zeolite as the bottom layer and thus if I use ehfimech, I'll have to give up one layer of substrat.

The tank is 40 gallon and houses three 2 inch shubunkins, so the bio load is not high. Next time I clean the filter, I'll just put some ehfimech and see what happens. I guess that's the only way for me to find out:)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
In my 2236, I have the course filter pad at the bottom, followed by all Ehfisubst and then covered in a thick layer of filter floss at the top.

Works great.

I don't use Ehfimech because I didn't want to purchase it. I have used it in other filters and it works just as well as anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts