The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got some new bee shrimp and they are eating and some are swimming around, then stopping to scavenge, and I was just wondering, if shrimp are eating, are they stress free?

I did some searching but didn't find anything. I remember I read somewhere that shrimp that are eating are doing well... I got these guys yesterday and I don't want them to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. Bought new amano shrimp too, and not so concerned for him because I have more, but... Yesterday he was grabbing a pellet and eating away, and now he is swimming a lot, trying to actually get out of the water, climbing up the corners. Luckily he has not found the heater cord and filter as a good spot to run away... Inhabitants are dwarf cories, bee shrimp, and amano shrimp. and a lone zebra shrimp, or its a very very very low grade bee shrimp...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yes these are good signs when our shrimp are eating and scavenging. We should worry when they are not!

However, the swimming around could mean a few things. It could mean that the shrimp are trying to mate after a female has molted and is releasing her pheromones, a good thing. Also, it could mean that the water quality/condtions (cleanliness, temperature, etc.) is not to their liking, bad thing. Or they can just be exploring their new home. It is up to us to monitor the conditions and water quality to make sure they are not bad. I so recommend you keep a tight lid on you tank until the amano shrimp adjusts to its new water condition as it will climb out and make a trek as far as it can:icon_roll .

Hope things go well for you and please keep us updated on your new additions:icon_smil

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I noticed the so called Zebra shrimp, or just a low grade bee with a cool pattern and one other shrimp are the only ones swimming around. And after the lights turned on, the Amano suddenly got calm and became his normal scavenging self again! Maybe the two shrimp are males getting excited! Thank you very much and yes I will keep you updated with a new thread. Once I get my camera... My sister broke it AGAIN and its still in repair shop.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Generally it means they are doing good, I don't have a "shrim stress meter" so I can't tell you for sure, But I know they are alot less stressed than when they are usually shipped:icon_roll .

In my 55g there are shrimp always swimming around the tank, it's amazing to watch the 100 or so males go swimming here and there. RARELY you see the Female cherries swimming though. They Sit and crawl around.

-Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah if its males swimming then all is okay, love in the water so to speak. If the females are swimming a lot then its trouble. It does take a day or two in new water for shrimp to settle. Once they do and if the water is fine then they wont try to get out. Good luck with them

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks everyone. I guess my shrimp are perfectly fine for now. Did a water change today because nitrates were about 20 ppm, but shrimp were still eating, and now it is near 0. So maybe you should still look out for nitrates even if shrimp are still eating.

And my female cherry shrimp swim a lot more than usual when fish are not around. I've heard that shrimp only tanks have a lot more activity than tanks with shrimp and fish, and this is true. But I do have fish and only shrimp swimming around are males, or so I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts