The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a "medium tech" setup on my 7.5g. Got the Neo Co2 kit up and running yesterday. The flow isn't as crazy as I have seen in some videos, thankfully, but yeah my concern lies with the duckweed floating above. I've noticed bubbles accumulating underneath some of the weed that has planted itself in that area. Is this prohibiting proper dispersal of the co2 to the tank or am I just worrying about nothing? I've been told by some people that having the diffuser near the filter, or the outflow at least is the best positioning. For aesthetic purposes I placed it on the left side of my tank whereas the filter is in the center. Should I move it?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Ideally you'd have flow dispersing the bubbles as evenly as possible through the waters column. Duckweed is a floater and takes in Co2, for the most part, through the exposed leaves at the surface and doesn't require pressurized Co2. I'm not sure if it wild necessarily use up the Co2 bubbles but it may trap them and make them unavailable to your other plants.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried positioning it in a few places. First by the sponge filter, then by an airstone. Nothing seems to get the bubbles to do anything beyond float up at a slant and disperse on the surface. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my experience the real problem is the duck weed. It will take over the tank soon and then getting rid of it will be impossible with out breaking down the tank. clogs the filter inlet and generally makes a mess

Don't worry too much about CO2. As long as the bubbles rise slowly and you can see that they are getting smaller by the time they reach the top, it means you have co2 dissolving in the water column. Some of it getting trapped under duck weed does not matter.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Just thought I'd throw this out there- I have been able to successfully kill off duckweed with surface agitation. Remove the floaters you want to keep and put them in a bucket, get rid of all the duckweed you can then add a decent amount of surface agitation (powerheads, aim filter output on high at the surface at an angle etc). Usually takes a couple weeks but it will die off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thoroughly went through with a net and some paper towel and no longer have any in there. However, the plastic bin in which I was storing the excess, and dumping out what I was scooping out apparently was infested with some micro critters because my tank is now teeming with life. I'm assuming dunking the net in that bin to clear off the duck weed then back in my tank was probably a very bad idea. My tank is at the end of it's cycling process, but until I get some fish in there I suppose I am just going to have to live with watching all these tiny things go about their business...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.