Does diatimatuous earth cause cancer?
If you did this on a regular basis you might get pneumoconiosis. That's the only thing I can think of. There isn't a huge difference between DE and sand. DE is different only in that it has a lot of sharp little points, which makes it useful for mechanically killing ground dwelling insects. It also has a smaller particle size, which means it becomes airborne more easily.Don't breath it in your lungs
This.Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heat and chemically treated and will poison an animal or human who ingests it.
are pretty well identical to the risks of regular household dust. The MSDS on the DE lists health risks as minimal (0) and MSDS sheets are a reputable source of information. Nobody else listed a source for their info. Kind of reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide scareInhalation:
Causes dryness and irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, sore throat, breathing difficulty (dyspnea), and wheezing. Excessive inhalation may cause decreased pulmonary function, lung damage and silicosis. Acute silicosis is manifested by dyspnea, fever, cough and weight loss. Severe respiratory symptoms may lead to death.
No adverse effects expected.
Causes irritation with dryness and abrasion.
Causes irritation, redness, and pain.
Prolonged inhalation exposure may produce silicosis. Chronic symptoms include cough, dyspnea, wheezing, increased susceptibility to tuberculosis, decreased chest expansion, and repeated nonspecific chest illnesses. Progressive respiratory and cardiopulmonary impairment may be fatal. Chronic inhalation of crystalline silica is a lung cancer hazard.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing respiratory or cardiopulmonary problems may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.
arsenic is naturally occurring too but if you ingest too much you will die!as DE is a naturally occurring product and is basically just the exoskeletons of extremely small diatoms, I would be extremely surprised if it is carcinogenic. That said, I would be far more worried about people eating something sharp enough to slice up insects then I would be about the long term risks of ingestion.