The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done about a week's worth of research now and I've read that injecting co2 does lower the ph AND that it doesn't actually lower the stuff that affects the fish. Like kh or something I can't find the article now of course.

Won't ph swings from 7.4 to 6.0 everyday stress the fish?

Sorry just a little confused thanks for any and all advice, Scott.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PH swing is fine, osmotic swing is more harmful.

Hope this helps
That's the article I was trying to find thank you. So I'm fine then. Sorry beginner here just trying to give my fish the best possible experience.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've done about a week's worth of research now and I've read that injecting co2 does lower the ph AND that it doesn't actually lower the stuff that affects the fish. Like kh or something I can't find the article now of course.

The Ph does swing but it happens gradually so the inhabitants slowly adapt to it. But if you were to move a fish from 6Ph water to 7Ph water without acclimation you would certainly kill it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A large, sudden, pH move caused by alkalinity changes (measured by KH) may stress/harm fish, but not pH changes caused by CO2, which does not change alkalinity (KH). The damage, in the case of KH changes, is not the pH, but the osmotic pressure changes caused by the presumed shift in alkalinity, e.g.; from a strong acid or carbonate.

A sudden change to high CO2 levels will harm fish simply because the CO2 will suffocate them if they are not allowed to adapt to it slowly. The pH will be much lower with high CO2 levels than with low CO2 levels, but it is not the pH change that is harmful, in this case.

Sudden pH “crashes” are old wives tales. We now know that it is osmotic shock that does the damage and this can be measured by TDS, with GH usually heavily involved.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Your actually looking for a PH drop of 1 to1.1 in a planted tank. The ph drop does'nt seem to bother the fish.If the co2 concentration gets to low, you will see the fish hang at the surface.

·
Registered
54 Posts
PH swing is fine, osmotic swing is more harmful.

Hope this helps
-------------

the "is ph important in a planted aquarium?" article from The 2HR Aquarist is an excellent read. Thank you for sharing.

A large, sudden, pH move caused by alkalinity changes (measured by KH) may stress/harm fish, but not pH changes caused by CO2, which does not change alkalinity (KH). The damage, in the case of KH changes, is not the pH, but the osmotic pressure changes caused by the presumed shift in alkalinity, e.g.; from a strong acid or carbonate.

A sudden change to high CO2 levels will harm fish simply because the CO2 will suffocate them if they are not allowed to adapt to it slowly. The pH will be much lower with high CO2 levels than with low CO2 levels, but it is not the pH change that is harmful, in this case.

Sudden pH “crashes” are old wives tales. We now know that it is osmotic shock that does the damage and this can be measured by TDS, with GH usually heavily involved.
--

when I began CO2 injection using a diffusor in my 30 gallon planted tank, I found that the fish I have adapted better after also introducing a larger sized airstone. At first the fish loved to go on top of it to shower their gills with O2. My Corys especially loved going to it. So from my experience, I highly recommend adding an airstone or something better at the same time as introducing CO2 injection along with an underwater flow pump to help distribute the CO2. It helps to balance things out better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After doing testing at various times of the day in my 30 gallon planted tank with CO2 injection

On an average day, the pH swings by 1 and always stays in the range of 6.4 - 7.4 with a kH usually in the 4-5 range. Would others agree this should be a good daily range for a low-tech planted tank?

TimeTemppHkHCO2
9:54am807.44off
10:00am807.44ON; Bub/sec - 3
12:10pm806.64ON; Bub/sec - 3
7:45pm816.44ON; Bub/sec - 3
7:50pm816.44off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts