The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
RO water has no KH, so the pH will be whatever it settles on (usually what your tap water pH is before the RO machine). My RO machine actually made my pH 6.5 tap water into pH 8 for some reason.

But there is one substrate that buffers up or down to 6.5, that's shirakura red bee sand.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yeah, actually using ro it might lower down into the 5s, when a soil says it buffers DOWN to 6.5, it means tap water with 7.5 pH and moderate hardness. When to use RO, it usually brings it down lower than that.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Hirose makes a good soil, I just have no need for a soil that buffers to neutral.

I'm hoping to visit their facility in the spring, see how our shrimp soils are made first hand. Now that im working for shirakura I can see all the juicy secrets, muahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I'm happy with not that strong buffering capacity of Azoo Plant Grower Bed.
In 20 gal long with 1/2" Akadama and 1 1/2" of Azoo in t days PH went down from 7.8 to 7.2.Brown one is with PH6.9 thought. Some crushed corals in a bag will fix the problem and will keep PH in 7.5

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm happy with not that strong buffering capacity of Azoo Plant Grower Bed.
In 20 gal long with 1/2" Akadama and 1 1/2" of Azoo in t days PH went down from 7.8 to 7.2.Brown one is with PH6.9 thought. Some crushed corals in a bag will fix the problem and will keep PH in 7.5
I have it in my 12G long and it stopped buffering about a month ago. And it's only been in the tank since August. I was filling it with half tap and half RO and it kept it at a steady 6.8 for the first 3 months, then decided to be at 7.4-7.6 Nothing in the tank that would raise the pH. So now I've got straight RO water only going in there. I think that particular tank is cursed though. Or maybe it's me;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts