The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cycling a new tank, heavily planted with a thick Aquasoil Amazonia substrate. I'm also using biomedia from an established tank.

What I'm curious is - why can't tank cycle be instantly or near so, if an established filter media is used? I know Aquasoil leach a lot of Amonia, but shouldn't the already cycled media take care of that?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I'm cycling a new tank, heavily planted with a thick Aquasoil Amazonia substrate. I'm also using biomedia from an established tank.

What I'm curious is - why can't tank cycle be instantly or near so, if an established filter media is used? I know Aquasoil leach a lot of Amonia, but shouldn't the already cycled media take care of that?
No.

The leaching is too much for the bio field to handle.

Expect ammonia and be prepared for many water changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't speak specifically to aquasoil but in general I've always been surprised that cycling isn't instantaneous even when using previously cycled media. I think that while your media has a lot of surface area, it is no where near the amount you have on all the little grains of material in your substrate. I've noticed this in PFS and gravel but it is probably more so in aquasoil as you have a somewhat uncontrolled source of ammonia.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds right. Probably it's for bacteria to colonize everything and not just the filter.

Yeah ammonia leaching is through the roof with Amazonia soil, even with daily water changes so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having a problem cycling my tank. I have a 65 gallon with Aqua Soil Amazonia, heavily planted, no fish, and a lot of CO2. The tank looked great for about 2-3 weeks and then I developed a white cloudiness in the water. It has now been 3-4 weeks and I have tried everything. I do water changes, at least, twice a week. I cannot clear my water. It is super frustrating and depressing since I have done everything I was supposed to do.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also having a problem cycling my tank. I have a 65 gallon with Aqua Soil Amazonia, heavily planted, no fish, and a lot of CO2. The tank looked great for about 2-3 weeks and then I developed a white cloudiness in the water. It has now been 3-4 weeks and I have tried everything. I do water changes, at least, twice a week. I cannot clear my water. It is super frustrating and depressing since I have done everything I was supposed to do.

Any suggestions?
That sounds like a bacterial bloom. Do nothing, time is all you need. But... 3-4 weeks does seem extreme. Maybe stop or slow down the water changes?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Any suggestions?
Probably not what you want to hear, but I suggest buying a canister filter with a UV sterilizer. I turn on the UV every time I disturb the substrate, and it keeps the water nice and clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts