The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Test kit not needed?

My understanding is that adding potassium won't hurt anything and thus a test kit is not required. I add potassium after every water change (30% weekly) just because I want to make sure my plants are getting it. Potassium is not known to cause algae outbreaks either, so having too much can't hurt.

I think I read that from Tom Barr somewhere. Maybe he can enlighten you furher.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
That's what I've read about potassium dosing.

I understand that potassium test kits are somewhat hard to read for some people. You use the turbidity of the test solution with the kit for your K measurement.

I've never used one though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
haven't seen one for potash. usually the look of the plants can indicate. yellowing is more a sign of lacking iron. lacking potash can be noticed by plants sending frilly leaves that are usually not frilly.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm gettting frilly leaves on anubias and luteria.. and yellow bloches.
I thought KNO3 is enought but guess not.. The nitrate shot up but i guess K didn't go up that much.. So I dosed K2O.

Hopefully it's nothing too bad.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
haven't seen one for potash. usually the look of the plants can indicate. yellowing is more a sign of lacking iron. lacking potash can be noticed by plants sending frilly leaves that are usually not frilly.
Here's two potassium test kits:

Part No. LL3639SC is Lamotte's Potassium test kit: Aluminum, Fresh 50

Aquarium Landscapes has one too. You have to go to their product overview or their product search to find it. https://ssl.perfora.net/www.aquariu...nid=1545c146dc7e815/shopdata/index.shopscript

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
yeah, I hope A. Pharm. would make one so it'll be on the cheaper side.
I wonder why they don't. Maybe you can't make a cheap one and the marketing guys don't think it would sell because I'd be much higher in price than their other kits.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
They probably don't because usually people who are interested only in "cheap" are not measuring things like Potassium. As it is, very few people want the kits. Most people have pH and maybe nitrates. It's only when you get into planted tanks and SW setups that people are testing more extensively. And those hobbyists having pressurized CO2, ADA Aquasoil and running Eheim filters are probably less likely to balk at the price. For the rest of us (myself included), I just add enough and watch the plants for reaction.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
if no, who does?
my plants have yellow spots and i guess potassium is low but I want to make sure.
Wow! I just caught this. You asked about a potassium test kit and I misread it. I was thinking that you asked about a phosphate test kit.

Quote Left C: "They sure do. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phosphate Test Kit at Big Al's Online"

Sorry mistergreen. My boo boo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.