The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through my potting soil and gardening collection earlier and found an unopened bag of 'Ironite' pelleted fertilizer for lawns. Intrigued, I read the label. Everything seemed like it might work ok in a planted tank. I did a search on here, and found a few topics on using it, but they're all years old. It seemed there were mixed results with it. I was wondering if anyone is currently using any of this as a substrate additive? (Soil substrates in particular, as that's what I've got.)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's got terrestrial lawn fertilizer in it so unless you cap it really well with PFS/SMS/etc your going to end up with algae blooms whenever it touches the water column just like miracle gro. Personally I wouldn't use it it's cheaper to go get un-fertilized, non-pine bark/sand top-soil at a landscaping or orchard supply store for $5-8 a bag and use that if you want to go with a soil product (MTS or non-MTS).

- Brad

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already got a homemade soil substrate--it's potting soil and cat litter mixed together and then capped with a sand/fine gravel mix I got in my backyard. (I'm big on free stuff...I have no desire to pay for 'dirt' lol).

Was just wondering if this was a safe addition to that mix, since I'm in the process of re-doing my tank. Is there anything that would be poisonous to the fish? It would be buried really well, so no problems with it hitting the water column too much.

I like to experiment, so I just want to see what other people's experiences with this are. I've already got this stuff laying around, so if I could use that as a way to dose micros without having to go buy something else...I'd be very happy. (Money's a bit short right now for anything not necessary to my survival)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts