The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have angelfish at home
if so could you post a picture or a link to your picture with a short description of the tank including plants and other inhabitants as well as equipment

if there is a thread to your tank that would probably be eaiser

im trying to get a feel of what kind of setups people have for angels

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry but I dont have any pics but I can tell you what I use to do. I would keep a couple swords in the tank and 3-4 caves. I kept some small cats and a couple smaller plecos and some danios for some movement. I tried to keep current as low as I could, I used UG's with very small PH's or a strong air pump with about 3 inches of gravel, a supreme aqua king power filter and I did 20% WC's every 2 weeks. I would try to have 5-7 different types of food flake, frozen, freeze dried, live and I would get beefheart from a butcher and add vitamins (dont remember what ones) and I would feed small amounts about 4x a day and I kept my temps at close to 80.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had some a few different times. Things start off well when they are small but once they grow up, they beat the livin snot out of each other. One pair spawned a bunch of times after I was down to the last two. Too much work for me to raise them so there was no benefit and it sucked. That was in a 50 gal. Maybe a bigger tank? If you had enough tanks to segregate them?

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just lost my two, but I've been keeping and breeding angels for years. The current setup I was using for them is a 55 gallon planted with mostly stem plants and some crypts. I had cory cats, swordtails, sailfin mollies, a bolivian ram, gouramis, and an assortment of rainbowfish in with them. I find that they need a minimum of 20 gallons, and at least a pair of them, as they seem happier and more relaxed when they are in numbers than when they are alone. They also prefer a slower current in the water, especially if they are very long finned.

They do get aggressive when they are older, and if you have a mating pair they will try to kill their tankmates. The best way I think to keep them is to get a few, say six, as young fish, and grow them to full size. Then you can choose if you want a pair, or two females or two males (they are very difficult to sex though, it's hard to know for certain unless you see them lay eggs). Two females is usually the least aggressive way to go, unless you can keep a school of them in a very large tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I boild 6 of them in my youth there was hard times no airpump only a heater with no regulator.... black turning to white, vertical turning to orizontal so never again..
that really sux.... I've killed few back in the days as well. btw, just checked out ur link, neat site man....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Up til saturday when my 100 gal tank was broken, this tank was dedicated to angelfish mostly. I had 9 (now 8 - one was killed when the tank broke). Got the fish when they were between dime size and quarter size. 6 months after the larger ones were almost 3 inches long (body only) and had started breeding about a month ago. I was about to reduce the number to 6.

I had a hight tech system with pressurized Co2. Plants included amazon swords (which combine perfectly with the angels and they love to spawn on the leaves), rotala rotundifolia, crypts, tonina sp, anubias, sagitarias, blyxa japonica, etc.

Fish company included neon tetras (10), zebra danios, 3 discus (not ideal but had no choice. They actually got along perfect) 4 corys and a pleco.

At first they got along perfect but as they reached sexual maturity the males started fighting a lot, that´s why I was going to reduce from 9 to 6 the number of angels.

Lovely fish, they are smart, not shy at all, follow me around like a puppy begging for food.

·
Registered
199 Posts
among many, here's a good one. I like how they name varieties of Angels & good choice for tankmates etc. Your can also, checkout others comment & ques @ the bottom of the page... g/luck.

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=angelfish

·
Registered
567 Posts
You might try the angelfish forum also...I forget the name of the website, but you can just do a search for 'the angelfish forum'. There's a lot of experts on there. I used to be a member but quit posting over there when I had some issues with an angel breeder who started stalking me and pm-ing anyone I talked to to tell them that I was actually some ten year old kid who had never kept fish and not to listen to anything I said...I don't know why he got mad at me, just a weird one. But it's a great forum otherwise.

I was going to suggest an angel hatchery I used to buy from online, but found that they seem to have gone out of business?! Their website is gone, but it was called Laurel Mountain Angelfish, out of Pennsylvania. They had some amazing stock, beautiful colors and finnage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.