The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 assorted fancy guppies in a 10-gallon tank!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sponge filter. There's many varieties, and most are inexpensive. All you need is an airpump, I have a few 10 dollar ones from amazon that work great. If you already have a hang on back filter, just add a sponge to the intake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sponge filters are by far the most fish fry friendly. I'm pretty sure most hang on the back filters work perfectly fine for guppy fry, they usually aren't dumb to go to close to the filter intake. Mine, after being in the tank for a while and building up strength, actually eat little bits of algae off the intake.

Ok, not related to this at all but I JUST saw that your profile picture thing is a ghost eating pizza and not a bird head. Haha i feel a little dumb now. The ghost is very cute.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you use a hob or a canister you can put fine mesh over the intake to reduce losses as well, but you're going to have to rinse it frequently, depending on how much particulate builds up because it will slow the filter.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sponge filters are a good option. Some of the nano sized filters have sponge pre intakes, which means they're pretty good for fry as well. After that, I'd probably do an undergravel filter or box filter. HOB and canister filters would work if you had a prefilter (I've heard pantyhose works well if you don't have open cell foam).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Just get some pre filter sponges from that co-op place . I use them on all my filters and my Platy fry stay safe as well as keeping the snails out of the filters .

·
Registered
522 Posts
The pre-filter sponges work, though as others say, depending on how clean your tank is, they can get clogged easily. They also take up space. With a 10G you don't have much space to begin with, so a sponge filter or a sponge pre-filter over an intake of a HOB is probably not ideal. The sponge pre-filters come in different sizes. The smallest clog the quickest. Larger ones (you can search "pond filters") will allow much better flow but they use a lot of space (e.g. 3-4" in diameter)

For the lowest profile shrimp/fry guard possible, I used this plastic mesh and zip ties to slip over the intakes of my cannisters. It would work for a HOB too. The mesh is normally used for wires but it works really well for this! It's inert, thin unlike a giant sponge, and even lower profile than the metal cages. It comes in several diameters.

Here's my post about it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put an aquaclear 30 sized sponge on my filter intake to keep my gold ring danios out of my intake tube. I squeeze it out weekly and reuse it. Perhaps this would work for you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The pre-filter sponges work, though as others say, depending on how clean your tank is, they can get clogged easily. They also take up space. With a 10G you don't have much space to begin with, so a sponge filter or a sponge pre-filter over an intake of a HOB is probably not ideal. The sponge pre-filters come in different sizes. The smallest clog the quickest. Larger ones (you can search "pond filters") will allow much better flow but they use a lot of space (e.g. 3-4" in diameter)

For the lowest profile shrimp/fry guard possible, I used this plastic mesh and zip ties to slip over the intakes of my cannisters. It would work for a HOB too. The mesh is normally used for wires but it works really well for this! It's inert, thin unlike a giant sponge, and even lower profile than the metal cages. It comes in several diameters.

Here's my post about it
One more add to this about the plastic mesh and to give a picture of what is looks like. In addition to protecting fry/shrimp from HOB and cannister intakes, it can also protect them from a power head.

I'm sure the mesh impairs flow on the power head in my image below, especially the way I have the mesh tied, but it still pushes water hard enough to ripple the surface and does what I need. I have a tank full of shrimp, baby shrimp, endlers and lots of endler fry and never had one get sucked through (I think). It might not work on all power heads depending on how their intake is constructed.

Cleaning is easy. Just knock off anything stuck to it while its running. The mesh is kind of "teflony" so things don't stick and can be freely swiped off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with the other 7 people; go with a sponge filter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts