The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
... just curious.

Does anyone else share my biotope obsession?

Thanks.

dbw
big yes here. I much prefer "natural" looking tanks that make some attempt to recreate the natural habitat of the inhabitants. however, I don't begrudge those who aim to create fantastic yet unrealistic aquascapes. they definitely have their place and can also be quite pleasing to look at.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay. I am so glad that there is someone else who shares my biotope leanings.

Do you have a hard time as well finding the correct plants/animals to go into your topes?

Thanks.

dbw

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I used to attempt biotopes and settled for plants/fish that come from same region if not biotipically correct. I too now prefer natural looking systems over manicured/intentional/Dutch with fish and plants from the same ecoregion. I did have ONE "true" biotope once. I used substrate, hardscape, plants and, fish from my pond. Let me tell you, it was ugly but beautiful at the same time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here's a really cool biotope video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_z-tiUIPo

I like this guys Youtube channel. He has a few more videos of his biotopes as well.
I would like to create a biotope based on the the clear spring fed rivers in Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8i6uE2AbI0

Stargrass, bacopa australis, helanthium bolivianum, hydrocotyle leucocephala, myriophyllum, najas, potamogeton, all options for the tank. Moss as well, but I will probably fudge it a bit and use Peacock moss since that's what I have and I like it. I don't know, maybe it is native to Brazil but I haven't read up on it.
Luckily all these plants are easy to find!
If I had a big tank I would add large swordplants...but I plan on doing this in a 24" by 12" footprint :O
Leaf litter and twigs as with white sand as well.

Just my plan for now.
Fish are pretty easy too:
Serpae tetras are an option, perhaps ember tetras too, i'm not sure if they are found in this exact habitat though. Other tetras as well.
Corydoras aeneus are also found here according to aquamazon.com
I'm going to go with a pair of Laetacara dorsigera or araguaiae though.
Just plans for now....gotta get the funds and equipment in order to make it reality.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Count me in !!

I am another pound Biotope owner.

Recently setup up for my Apristgramma.
Lots of leaf litter.
Tea color water...
floating plants......

yes

J

·
Registered
226 Posts
Biotope question

How do you clean biotopes? Do you gravel vac?
Does the water parameters change while cleaning
a biotope. What are the challenges.

·
Registered
776 Posts
How do you clean biotopes? Do you gravel vac?
Does the water parameters change while cleaning
a biotope. What are the challenges.
Old thread, however, to answer the question, I did an Orinoco biotope a while back. Biggest challenge I had was the hard local water (I don't have an RO system), though I dealt with that by getting captive-bred fish that could tolerate my water, and by choosing plants that though endemic also had a broader distribution and thus weren't overly finicky.

Honestly, it's more or less like any tank IME; you do the same maintenance you would normally need to keep the species you've chosen. That includes cleaning and water changes as needed, though you might not need/want do a vac on certain substrate types.

Now, if you decide to do a super soft, acidic blackwater biotope in a place with hard water at a high ph, with no access to RO, that could be a challenge due to the difficulty of creating and maintaining parameters, but that would be true of any tank that had fish/plants that needed those conditions.

As far as fluctuations in water, the key is smaller but more frequent changes so that the conditions are not strongly affected (or you can test the replacement water and adjust it to match the tank parameters).

·
Registered
54 Posts
big yes here. I much prefer "natural" looking tanks that make some attempt to recreate the natural habitat of the inhabitants. however, I don't begrudge those who aim to create fantastic yet unrealistic aquascapes. they definitely have their place and can also be quite pleasing to look at.
You have said EXACTLY what I want to say. Thank you and congratulations

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts