The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna make another diy co2 reactor for my planted tank and I wanna use a wooden airstone. Are limewood airstones efficient in getting the co2 out of the tank? Also are they long lasting? Thanks!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking. I use a limewood airstone as an "airstone" to break up the crud on the surface each night. They seem to last quite a while. I've not replaced mine in 6 months.

They produce nice small bubbles compared to other "airstones" I've used.

jim

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I wanna make another diy co2 reactor for my planted tank and I wanna use a wooden airstone. Are limewood airstones efficient in getting the co2 out of the tank? Also are they long lasting? Thanks!

They are not a good choice. I make limewood airstones myself for use in air driven protein skimmers.

Both the DIY versions and the store-bought versions do not produce the tiny bubble froth in freshwater that they would in fresh water. They just make normal bubbles. The mineral content of seawater is what makes those small bubbles possible. It's physics beyond what I completely understand but I do know that it doesn't work in freshwater. The bubbles don't look any smaller or more numerous than they would with a normal cheapo airstone.

For DIY CO2 they would also be a bad choice because of the back pressure they cause as they get wet and swell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.