The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m looking to do a moss ball with my extra flame moss for my shrimp tank.
I was looking for something and I found this in Amazon:

The product description says:

• The substance in moss ball is filter material, it can filter water and be be beneficial for your fish glowing,Shrimp feed on greenery and like to eat plants, releasing many minerals and trace elements beneficial to fish and shrimps.
I just want to be sure if this product is 100% safe for shrimps.

Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to use a piece of rock or wood to attach moss.

There's nothing inherently special or useful about this particular product. I'd only buy it if you're absolutely set on it for some reason.
Hello,

I have flame moss and I’m really want to have a ball that looks nice. I saw a video in YouTube with flame moss and looks amazing. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
16,987 Posts
Hello,

I have flame moss and I’m really want to have a ball that looks nice. I saw a video in YouTube with flame moss and looks amazing. 🤪
If you get a rounded rock, you could tie the moss on or use super glue gel to attach it. Cheaper and more easily obtainable. No matter the shape of the attachment object you use, you'll have to keep the moss trimmed in order to keep it looking rounded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you get a rounded rock, you could tie the moss on or use super glue gel to attach it. Cheaper and more easily obtainable. No matter the shape of the attachment object you use, you'll have to keep the moss trimmed in order to keep it looking rounded.
You know what? You’re right! I’m going to try the way you are saying.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,987 Posts
You know what? You’re right! I’m going to try the way you are saying.

Thank you.
I promise I wouldn't suggest you use a rock or something instead of this if it wouldn't work well. Honestly think it's probably easier to use a rock or chunk of driftwood because there's more overall surface area for attachment. And you don't have to worry too much about breaking anything. Feel free to poke through any of my tank journals to see what you can easily do with almost any moss. Decent temp, decent flow, some shrimp or other critters to keep things clean and you'll be golden.

One thing I like to do is use a rock that I can easily remove from the tank if need be. Sometimes handy when trimming moss without making a mess. Just put it in a container of old tank water (in case there are baby shrimp or other critters you don't want to lose) on water change day and give it a good trim. Then give the entire thing a good shake while under water to release any trimmings. Return to its usual spot in your tank.

It's also not as tough as it may seem to keep moss trimmed. A nice pair of cheap scissors and a bit of patience work wonders.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In addition to what somewhatshocked mentioned, I have seen people using hairnets to keep moss attached to rocks (definitely beats wrapping thread all around the rock!)
I will do the rock maybe this weekend. But just to let you guys know. My wife got me the moss holder. I did one with flame moss and I’m waiting to get more fissidens Fontanus to make one and one.

·
Super Moderator
16,987 Posts
I will do the rock maybe this weekend. But just to let you guys know. My wife got me the moss holder. I did one with flame moss and I’m waiting to get more fissidens Fontanus to make one and one.
Even better - you didn't have to get it yourself! Ha.

Now you can try it both ways.

Forgot to mention this earlier but when you eventually start trimming moss, make sure you save all the little pieces to grow out into larger portions. That way you'll always have extra to use in your tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.