The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you have any reason to want a specific wattage of bulbs you can always use more bulbs. But, the only good reason to want a high wattage is if you own stock in the electric power company.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You really think the 36 watt light i chose is too much light? I've looked at every 18" cube thread on this site. There are two that get bumped frequently... One has a 150 watt MH and the other uses 48 watts of T5 HO. Both look great.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You really think the 36 watt light i chose is too much light? I've looked at every 18" cube thread on this site. There are two that get bumped frequently... One has a 150 watt MH and the other uses 48 watts of T5 HO. Both look great.
It depends on a couple things.

1) How high are the lights being suspended above the tank
2) How deep is the tank
3) are you injecting CO2?
4) will you be fertilizing?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you're not injecting CO2 and dosing ferts on a REGULAR basis, and I don't mean just Flourish/Flourish Excel, forget T5s. I regret going from PCs to T5s for this reason. I thought I would add it and keep up with the work, but I don't. Keep it simple.

Is this your first planted tank?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I planned on doing co2 and ferts. I'm always open to ideas though. It will be my first planted tank. Pc light options for this size cube tank? 18", 25 gallon.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
70W fishneedit metal halide?
Yeah, it's a little much, but you could raise it up a bit... Plus, since the tank is a cube, it would give you really good coverage.

Edit: It does come with legs but you won't be able to raise it without it being hung somehow. Have you thought about making a metal pipe light fixture hanger?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah ^ that ^ T5 HO is basically the one I posted earlier that I decided on. This tank is right next to my bed so giving it attention won't be a problem. Works out to like 1.44 watts I think. Co2 and pfertz was the plan. Low to medium light plants. Probably end up going for a jungle look.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I planned on doing co2 and ferts. I'm always open to ideas though. It will be my first planted tank. Pc light options for this size cube tank? 18", 25 gallon.
I have that 20" AquaticLife Fixture on a 16G bowfront which is either 16 or 18" tall. With no CO2 injection I was just blasting the heck out of the tank and getting some algae. I added a lot of floating plants and it dimmed the tank considerably. I haven't had any algae problems since adding floaters and I run a pretty long photo-period (probably ~14 hours most days depending upon my schedule).

The 20" fixture should fit the 18" cube (the arms can move in but I haven't measured the exact amount of how far in you can move them.

As long as you are going high tech (especially CO2) and are willing to fight the algae a little bit you can make it work with this fixture.

I can't imagine ever needing MORE light than that though unless you had a tall tank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.