The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does Algae Disappear?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  RyanMan 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if proper maintenance of a planted tank will cause algae to go away. What I mean by this is, do I have to remove all of the algae in my tank after I establish a balance? Or will the proper use of CO2, lighting and nutrients override the algae and make it go away without physical removal?. One thought I have is it might depend on the type of algae. What is the case here?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Proper maintenance wouldn't make algae go away, but proper lighting, co2 and nutrients will. If you get those 3 things right you shouldn't have to worry about scrubbing algae. Work on growing your plants and algae will go bye bye on its own.

Haha yeah that's what I meant by maintenance. My bad. I'm just adjusting to EI ferts, medium lighting, and CO2. So I guess we'll know it's working optimally when the GSA and such goes away.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Haha Gotcha I thought you meant proper maintenance like cleaning and water changes. Post some pics of your tank, water parameters, dosing schedule, and equipment and we might be able to figure out why you have gsa and such.

Thanks I appreciate the help a lot! I'm not going to jump into that quite yet as I just have CO2 running for the past month. I'm just going to work on getting everything dialed in first to see. Because i have a hunch that that is my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.