The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank temp is 76 and nowadays the tab water temp is below 60. If I clean filter media with dechlorinated tab water, will beneficial bacteria die because of such a big difference in temp?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Do you normally clean all of your filter media in dechlorinated tap water? Or just like the filter pads? My guess would be, either way, that even if there is a larger die-off than normal, it's not going to be really noticeable in your tank in anyway, especially if you're only cleaning out the sponges. If you're worried though, you could just use a small amount of water directly out of the tank and then top off your tank. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Now I know why I get a mild bacterial bloom after cleaning Eheim substrate & pads. I'll use tank water from now on. I'm glad my buckets & siphon are still of some use after I bought a Python!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never heard of something as hardy as bacteria being killed by a temperature fluctuation, especially to a lower temperature. I think the worst that would happen is their metabolism may slow a bit for the small amount of time you have them out of the tank.

Here's an interesting google cache of an article with a lot of information about nitrogen handling bacteria.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...ap2+nitrosomonas+freezing&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

It does seem they are sensitive to freezing, but I think 60 degrees will be more than fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.