The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone Just wanted to start up this journal. All of my equiptment will be here this week. here are my specs so far

130w 30" coralife light(I'm not going to run the full 130 watts all the time at frist though)
Pressurised co2
I am going to try modifying the EI dosing to fit my needs
ADA amazonia aquasoil

for plants I have the following:

HC
rotala sp "mini"
rotala sp Green
rotala colorata
Ludwigia Palustris
L. Aromatica
ludwigia Inclinata verticillata "cuba"
anubias "petite"
Downoi

here is my hardscape so far

here is the planned aquascaping

Let me know what you think!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just going to use what I have. I bought this slate a long time ago and I just want to get some use out of them. they look alot better wet too.

I just noticed they look really flat in the pic. They are actually more 3 dimensional than they appear in the pic.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i think you don't have as much room as you drew. it looks like that slate is taking up a good bit. maybe take out the hammer and screwdriver and make smaller pieces. the outline looks good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey! Cool to see your plans in action. I do see where Dane is coming from on the slate, but it is hard to say how it will all turn out once everything is planted. Maybe some dwarf hairgrass jutting in between the slate and driftwood to meld the two hardscape elements together? I'm excited to see the downoi, too.

Where are you getting your plants? I'm going to be ordering L. aromatica, downoi and HC from Aquaspot World once the time comes to gut my tank.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot. I am kind of hoping the HC melds thing together a little. if not I will definatly try the hairgrass.

I got alot of my plants off ebay from aquadisestore. They are fairly cheap and free shipping. I got alot from members here as well. I didn't want to order from oversea. Just to much trouble.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I got my eheim ecco filter today and filled the tank. It's a little cloudy as you can see. I settled on a few more sparatic stones to finish the hardscape. Now I just wait for the aquasoil to settle down.
what do you think??

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think its looking pretty good, but to be honest with you, I would change the layout. Using both rock and wood can be very difficult to make it work right.

I think that your placement of the wood pieces are to far from eachother and the rocks are to close.

Try placing the wood together and then group up the rocks like 4 rocks and 3 rocks. make some of the rocks go past the outer edge of the wood.
You might even consider adding a couple more pieces of wood like those. I believe that if you play with the layout a little more and fid something that really pleases you and feels right, you will be more happy with the outcome once its all planted.

Have you ever heard of the Golden Mean/Golden Rule? Or the rule of thirds in photography?
This helps ALOT when it comes to positioning your hardscape and is very pleasing on the eyes if done properly. I always suggest taking a look at some of Amano's tanks for inspiration. Everyone is capable of creating an aquascape like his.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hows this look?? I made a more defined trail.. I also decided to add a java fern and I had to plant my HC because it was starting to die on me. I figured I would just take my chances with the "Melting Plants".. they wer going to melt anyway, I just hope they make it now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good start -- and a nice plan that you have mapped out. I can't wait to see that HC field grow in. I hope it recovers now that it's planted -- is it starting to perk up?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

thanks alot!! No that hc died. Luckily I bought 2 big portions and the other bunch is doing great. it even has some new growth. My rotala Sp. green looks great and my downoi is holding on. The L aromatica I ordered was dead on arrival so I am in the process of getting more from the supplier. The big plant on the left I have no idea what it is but it was a freebie so I am trying to save it and see what it is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.