The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It's much easier with older cars. I used to have a '66 Mustang that was easy to work on -- changed oil, sparkplugs, oil filter and belts without too much hastle. With newer cars, they have so much stuff crammed in a little space (A/C unit, power steering, wiring, etc) that it's really a pain in the a$$. The Mustang oil could be changed in less than an hour(incl filter). My father and I both changed the oil on my old '86 300ZX and it took about 3 hrs, no joke. There's a special tool that mechanics have which makes it much, much easier to remove the oil filters without dismantling the top part of the engine.
My wife and I know what's wrong (and not wrong) with our cars. If something started acting up right after an oil change, I'd take it right back and raise hell. For about $25 I generally don't mind letting them do it. If it takes over an hour, it's free next time(this has happened more than once).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd do my own oil change if I had a reasonably safe place to work on the car. I'm not getting under my car that is parked on a narrow street that people do 45+ down. It's not that hard to do at all.

My dad used to do his until all the places to recycle the oil shut down or were done away with.

Remember, guys who do oil changes probably don't know crap about the rest of the car. Some might be but that's like asking a dentist why you can't pee. Both are doctors, but don't know everything. The idiots who changed mine once swore up and down I had a blown headgasket and needed immediate repairs. Turns out, it was the spark plug ring that was barely leaking oil on TOP of the valve cover. Huge difference there. $30 and 1.5 hours of work (did it myself) versus $1000+ job at a mechanic.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's just not worth the hassle to do an oil change yourself these days. Besides that, most places are only a few bucks more than what it would cost you to buy the oil and filter anyway. Just don't buy into anything extra they try to sell you. It's really that simple. I had one place try to tell my I needed a trans flush one time. I went into the car and took a receipt off the passsenger seat from the dealership where I had it done 3 days earlier. I made sure everybody in the waiting room heard what I had to say to them. Geez, if you're going to try to rip me off, at least read the receipt and work order that was face up and sitting alone on the passenger seat. I don't go there anymore. Try a few different places and you'll eventually find a place you feel comfortable enough to at least have the grease monkeys change your oil.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Yes for that very reason and the prices they charge, around here the local jiffy lube charges around 45.00 for a 5qt oil change. I asked what if I brought my own oil and filter and they said 35.00, that turned me off. For about 15-30 minutes of time I change the oil in my truck and my wifes car. I also run synthetic oil so I only do it about every 4 months or so. If other places have a special for 19.99 or so I will have them do it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes for that very reason and the prices they charge, around here the local jiffy lube charges around 45.00 for a 5qt oil change. I asked what if I brought my own oil and filter and they said 35.00, that turned me off.
WOW What a ripoff. For $50 around here I could get a 5 qt. full synthetic oil change done just about anywhere. A regular oil change goes for anywhere around $19.99 to $24.99

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
I am very VERY paranoid with mechanics. That video just confirms what I think is happening all over.

My car dealership offered "free" oil changes for lifetime. Great, I though, that will save me a bundle. Well, until they stripped the threads on the oil plug and I had to buy a new oil pan (they "fixed" it by tightening it more, but it still dripped into my garage).

Plus, my car requires synthetic oil, and I just didn't trust them to do the right thing. So I invested into a PELA and do all my oil changes myself. With my car, I can do it in Sunday clothes... the oil filter is on top, and all I need to do is stick the Pela hose into the dip stick tube, pump a couple of times, watch the blackness go into the Pela container, change the filter, refill and done.

My wife's car has the filter underneath, so I have to get under the car to change it, but no big deal.

Probably a good investment... http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapplications.html

Most automotive stores and some repair shops will take your old oil for recycling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cars dont require synthetic oil its a preference.also the difference in price for an oil change if you do it yourself is huge than if you take it somewhere.not even $20 to do it yourself.if you think about it the oil for 5 qts is about 7 to 10 dollars and a filter is usually about 5 bucks.the oil they use and the cheapest oil you can buy will be the same price.ive seen oil at 1.25 a qt. no excuse not to change your own oil unless you dont know how or cant because of living situation(condo or apartment not letting you). if you can set up and maintain a planted tank you can change your own oil.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I used to get mail from a place I'd bought new tires at. They had free rotation for the life of the tires, which was nice. I usually had my oil changed there too. Part of the check during the oil change is an alignment check. During a free rotation, they marked down that I needed an alignment as well ( which was NOT free). They kept sending me letters, reminding me I needed an alignment because the tires weren't wearing right. During all oil changes I'd had there leading up to the free rotation, the alignment had checked out ok... probably 4 oil changes in total. After they'd told me I needed an alignment, I had 2 more oil changes, not being in a particular hurry to get the alignment. During both of those oil changes, it was marked on the services ' checklist' that my alignment checked out perfectly fine.

I asked the manager about the discrepancy ( as in, which is it... I need one or I don't. Who was lying? Either the oil change people weren't actually looking at it, or the other people were making up the problem.) , and he couldn't give me an answer.

I decided finally that "Free services" = opportunity to find imaginary problems that need fixed, and oh by the way we offer those services here. How convenient.

·
Registered
806 Posts
cars dont require synthetic oil its a preference.also the difference in price for an oil change if you do it yourself is huge than if you take it somewhere.not even $20 to do it yourself.if you think about it the oil for 5 qts is about 7 to 10 dollars and a filter is usually about 5 bucks.the oil they use and the cheapest oil you can buy will be the same price.ive seen oil at 1.25 a qt. no excuse not to change your own oil unless you dont know how or cant because of living situation(condo or apartment not letting you). if you can set up and maintain a planted tank you can change your own oil.
Actually, many vehicles do require specific weight oil, and sometimes that weight only comes in synthetic. My Ford Escape was like that.

I guess you could just chose to put an oil in it that was other than the weight stamped on the oil fill plug, but I don't know what that would do to a warranty or extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've usually done mine except when when it's too much trouble to do it (college dorms, pregnant, cities where it's hard to dispose, etc.). But it's not that pricey to have it done either. And I refuse to do the spouse's car--it's got a skidplate with no drainhole and frankly, I feel paying a lube shop to do it is a good deal as they don't charge for removing those 20 bolts...turns out I'm lazier than I am cheap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The first oil change on our Brand new Subaru Outback was a disaster. We took it in to the dealer to have the oil changed and when we got home we discovered they had not replaced the oil they took out!

A few miles with NO oil in the car. My parents got an extended warranty because of it but thats just so absurd. I mean its only essentially a two step process. Take oil out... put oil in.

Our Subaru has had SO many problems, Our car has been back to the shop for the same problem for years(under warranty). The warranty just ended and of course we had to take it in because of a misfiring spark plug. They can't even get there own car to work properly... I have very little faith in the automotive industry already and I just turned 17.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It's not like it's a difficult process...drain oil, pour oil in. The hard part is dismantling everything in order to get the filter out. That, and finding a place to dispose of it. It's not as easy as you may think!
That's basically why I just pay the $25 and take it to them. It's only about every 3 months anyway, if that. It then becomes a matter of choice. I'm a pretty good procrastinator when it comes to things I don't want to do.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
It's not like it's a difficult process...drain oil, pour oil in. The hard part is dismantling everything in order to get the filter out. That, and finding a place to dispose of it. It's not as easy as you may think!
That's basically why I just pay the $25 and take it to them. It's only about every 3 months anyway, if that. It then becomes a matter of choice. I'm a pretty good procrastinator when it comes to things I don't want to do.
I hear that, depends on the vehicle for sure, I had a 99 Pontiac Sunfire that I had to take the front right wheel off to get at the filter, that was fun!

I think most Advanced auto and auto zones recycle oil, check your area

·
Registered
428 Posts
If oil changes around here get as expensive as some of the other places you all talk about, MAYBE I would think about doing it myself. But really, $19.99 or $24.99 is a steal to me. Why spend my time going to the store to get the stuff and then actually doing it, let alone making a mess in the garage or driveway, then have to drive again to recycle the oil somewhere. If it costs me $15 for oil and a filter or $20 bucks to have it done I figure $5 is for the labor. That's a steal to me. My time is worth much more than that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My brother does it on our cars: a honda del sol, subaru outback, and dodge caravan. From what I witnessed and assisted with its not that hard.

I am just saying check to make sure they put oil back in. :) They can be just as careless or more careless than you.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I love my oil changes! I go to a local place, and once a year I do the "deluxe" change. This is where they drain all the oil and refill and drain until all the oil runs "clear." Then they fill it with the oil of my choice. I choose the synthetic blend, just in case I'm a bit late with the maintenance. When I was a kid, my older brother used to show me how to take apart engines and put them back together. I was fascinated. Now I stand there and watch the guys who do the work on my Expedition. They don't *seem* to mind, but who knows. They seem like a great bunch of guys, and I've never had a a problem in the almost two years I've lived here. The oil is like the "blood" of your vehicles. Keep it clean, and they'll live long and thrive. ;)

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Why spend my time going to the store to get the stuff and then actually doing it, let alone making a mess in the garage or driveway, then have to drive again to recycle the oil somewhere.
Uhm... cause... did you see the video? Cause when you do it yourself, you know it is done right. And if you do maintenance right, chances are that you will save a boatload of cash that you would spend otherwise to fix things because some dummy put the wrong oil in, didn't seat the filter correctly or didn't use the right filter, stripped some threads, and so on.

Nowadays, there is the internet to buy stuff, so it's not like you have to go shopping.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts