The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 10gallon tank that we are learning this wonderful hobby from. Among the occupants are 2 ottos. These things tend to go nuts in the early evening.... They are at 1000% energy output - chasing each other, all over the glass, etc. Never see this behavior during the normal day, nor later at night after lights have been out for awhile. Just wondering if I have a couple of juvie delinquents here, or if the species in general is fairly active at this time of day for others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My ottos usually go crazy in the early morning, when I wake up, before the lights have turned on. They'll sometimes form a train and chase each other back and forth (I have 5).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the only other tank residents were RCS and pond snails, how many ottos would be appropriate for a 10 gal planted, low light, and would flake food floating to the substrate be enough of a food supplement or would algae wafers also be a good idea?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If the only other tank residents were RCS and pond snails, how many ottos would be appropriate for a 10 gal planted, low light, and would flake food floating to the substrate be enough of a food supplement or would algae wafers also be a good idea?
3-4 would be fine, as they like to be in a group. You'll most likely have to add algae wafers as the low light probably will not grow much algae (hopefully, lol). I have not seen mine eat anything other than sinking algae wafers or blanched veggies (pinned down with a rock)

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I think 10 gal tanks are too small for Otos. I know many keep them that way, and it seems to work for those little fishies, but if you see them zip around in a 4ft tank you will ask yourself if they are not getting claustrophobic and bang into the glass all the time. In my 100gal tank they can zip from one side to the other in about 2 seconds...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.